Waze gets incorrect GPS position by 20+ meters

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Waze gets incorrect GPS position by 20+ meters

Postby dandv » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:18 am

I've often seen Waze 1.3.1.0 on Android getting confused as to which street I was, in Santa Clara, where there is no urban canyon or tree foliage, and GPS signal was strong.

Often, Waze would place me on a different street more than 60ft/20m away, even when I was stationary (parked at the curb of one street). My Galaxy's GPS position was accurate, and Google Maps correctly showed my location.

I've verified this multipled times and could submit screenshots, but I doubt that would help. Logs perhaps? Let me know if I can be of assistance, as this gets Waze confused and getting entire routes wrong because it thinks I'm on a freeway when I'm on a street near it.
Waze 1.3.1.0 on Android 1.5 - Android Users Howto Wiki

If God is good, why does a child die every 6 seconds?
dandv

Re: Waze gets incorrect GPS position by 20+ meters

Postby dandv » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:13 am

RallyChris wrote:When a road is actually a two way, but the server thinks it is a one way in the opposite direction, the client thinks "You can't be on that road... that's a one way in the opposite direction, you must be over here". This is another way to try to compensate for GPS drift.

I'd like to suggest an improvement in this area:

The GPS on Android devices comes with range/precision information. It can tell that your location is accurate within X meters. If the current accuracy is good (say, <6 meters), Waze should really trust that accuracy over the map data, or at least weigh it higher.
Waze 1.3.1.0 on Android 1.5 - Android Users Howto Wiki

If God is good, why does a child die every 6 seconds?
dandv

Postby RallyChris » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:46 pm

This has been reported before.

All street have directionality based on which way waze users have driven on a road in the past.

server has seen nobody driven on it - "no entrance"
server has seen only people drive one way on a road - "one way"
both way = 'two way'

When a road is actually a two way, but the server thinks it is a one way in the opposite direction, the client thinks "You can't be on that road... that's a one way in the opposite direction, you must be over here". This is another way to try to compensate for GPS drift.

This will correct itself after you have driving down that road and your route has been analyzed by the server. The road then is turned into a two way, and this behavior will go away.

Note: You have to use "navigate to/show on map" from search to get map updates. So even after the server has analyzed your route, you might still experience this till you have the latest map tile downloaded via a route through the tile, or "show on map"
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby Shorty-CM » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:21 am

That tile management could really use a change...
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Navigation & Routing