How long before edits go live?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

How long before edits go live?

Postby andrewski » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:27 pm

I've been making some minor edits along routes I take (just to get my feet wet in Cartouche and to see how this whole system works), and some of them seem to have "gone live" already. For example, Waze no longer tells me to turn on to the highway from an underpass. Guys: this is progress. :D

But some others don't seem to be working yet. Is there any kind of a delay before things go live? Does an area manager have to approve edits?
andrewski

Re: How long before edits go live?

Postby andrewski » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:14 pm

RallyChris wrote:Waze is suffering from an overload of users (a good and a bad thing). So updates have been taking longer.

Gotcha. I'm one of those new users, so that's all good. ;)

Anything to be done from the other side to help that process? Or is that just area managers, admins, etc. who grease those wheels?

RallyChris wrote:Also note, that your client will only update a map tile on a first time seen, "navigate to" runs you through an updated tile, "show on map" is in an updated tile. So make sure you use the above options on the client to make sure you see your updates, after they get through the server processing.

Hm, I'm sorry; I don't understand. On my iPhone, I have "Drive to" at the bottom of the main screen; is that the same thing? So each time I select that (e.g. to home or work) it will be sure to get updated tiles?

As for "Show on map" I see that when I select the Options menu for a location/an address; are you saying I need to choose that (instead of just tapping on the address in the list where I see it) to ensure I get updated tiles?
andrewski

Postby andrewski » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:34 pm

Thanks everyone; that does help clarify.

In my case, I generally tell Waze to direct me somewhere (even when I already know, as it helps to hear which incorrect turns it recommends ;)). So in my case it seems like my edits just weren't live yet.
andrewski

Postby Lemon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Hm, I'm sorry; I don't understand. On my iPhone, I have "Drive to" at the bottom of the main screen; is that the same thing? So each time I select that (e.g. to home or work) it will be sure to get updated tiles?

As for "Show on map" I see that when I select the Options menu for a location/an address; are you saying I need to choose that (instead of just tapping on the address in the list where I see it) to ensure I get updated tiles?

I think 'navigate' to is 'drive to'. Click on 'drive to'. Then you should enter in an address. Should look like this image:
1.jpg
1.jpg (36.46 KiB) Viewed 1313 times

Then click on the small blue arrow to the left near your address:
2.jpg
2.jpg (52.36 KiB) Viewed 1314 times

You then should see this. I think you click on either 'Navigate' or 'show on map'.
3.jpg
3.jpg (28.91 KiB) Viewed 1313 times

Correct me if i am wrong.
Nexus One | Waze 1.8.99.104 | 2007 Volkswagen GTI | Twin Cities Metro Area Manager | Northeast Iowa Area Manager
Lemon

Postby Lemon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:05 pm

@RallyChris

Was what i posted what you meant? I've been trying to get the tiles to update for a couple weeks now. All i have to do is a simple routing to my destination along the route i want the tiles to update?
Nexus One | Waze 1.8.99.104 | 2007 Volkswagen GTI | Twin Cities Metro Area Manager | Northeast Iowa Area Manager
Lemon

Postby RallyChris » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:50 pm

In a perfect world, edit should be live 24 to 48 hours later.

But Waze is suffering from an overload of users (a good and a bad thing). So updates have been taking longer.

The only thing that needs to be approved, is deletes.

Also note, that your client will only update a map tile on a first time seen, "navigate to" runs you through an updated tile, "show on map" is in an updated tile. So make sure you use the above options on the client to make sure you see your updates, after they get through the server processing.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby RallyChris » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:30 pm

The server process is automated, so it's just how fast they can process, nothing manual effects it... short of us not doing updates :)

andrewski wrote:Hm, I'm sorry; I don't understand. On my iPhone, I have "Drive to" at the bottom of the main screen;

Hmmm... I thought they were trying to make all the clients the same. But it should be the same from an map update perspective. Just driving around, will only get you a map tile when you don't have it. To get updated tiles, you have to have it giving you driving directions and drive through an updated tile. Or when searching for something, choose the show on map options (or whatever they called it on your version :) ).
RallyChris

Postby RallyChris » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:15 pm

Yep