When a Missing Road isn't Missing...  Topic is solved

Moderator: Unholy

Re: When a Missing Road isn't Missing...

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:47 pm

Recommendation similar to what Andy wrote is covered in the Map Problem documentation.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 8.2 | Waze v3.9.4
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: When a Missing Road isn't Missing...  Topic is solved

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:00 pm

It's an automatically detected problem from that parking lot. to the left. There is an issue where the average trace isn't showing properly in WME right now - you SHOULD be seeing a loop of some kind in that lot.

EDIT: Please remember that MPs (these automatically detected Map Problems) are something to look at, not necessarily something to fix.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

When a Missing Road isn't Missing...

Postby Dogshrink » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:56 pm

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-75.98 ... s=73707492

Why should the segment of Thomas Dr. be reported by the app as Missing (WME) when there is a road between the A and B terminators?
Jeff Cushner
South Whitehall, PA
State Manager, Pennsylvania
Image ImageImageImage
Dogshrink
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Riamus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Very good points, slandrum. Leaving streets red is a very common mistake by new editors, myself included. It is covered in the editing articles that should be read before doing any edits, but it is perhaps not obvious until it is directly pointed out to you. Other errors like those you mentioned can also be easy mistakes and there are a number of items in the Wiki articles that are no longer considered correct, but where current discussions on changes have not been completed so they aren't yet updated. An example of that is landmarks. The guidelines are basically finished, but not necessarily approved, so they aren't in the Wiki yet and some parts of the Wiki may still reflect the older ways of doing landmarks in the meantime. The one item I think really needs to be made very clear in the tutorials is to avoid deleting segments until you have enough experience editing to know what is safe to delete and explain why deleting a segment is a bad idea (loss of data). I've seen where editors have deleted segments to do things like split a road or disconnect a road to mark it as closed. Unless Waze reverts changes, we can't recover the lost data. We can put a new road in, but all data is gone.

Anyhow, those were good points you made for new editors and I also definitely recommend that editors keep up with the forums. You never know when something is going to change.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby slandrum » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:51 pm

I'll add an additional comment - if you are relatively new to editing maps, please refrain from editing until you've read the map editing forums.

I just dove into editing recently, I did read the "Read me first!" posts, but there's a lot of detail about map editing that I got wrong at first. After spending a bunch of time reading the forums (especially the threads discussing do's ant don'ts of editing), I've discovered that a lot of my early edits, while not dangerous, violated the current thinking about edits. It took me a long time to figure out why roads that I added were red in the editor and never showed up on client, for instance. I fully mapped all the lanes in a parking lot instead of just the main perimeter. I named the lanes in a parking lot to avoid the inappropriate "turn on XYZ street" messages, not understanding the adverse impact it would have. I created a parking lot landmark that I shouldn't have, and so on. The quickie tutorials tell you how to do a lot of things but don't tell you that unless you really know what you are doing, you shouldn't be doing most of the things they tell you how to do.

I know a lot more about editing than I did when I started, but I still think it's important to read up. I follow the discussions, because the thoughts on a lot of things are in flux, and the accepted wisdon changes over time. And if you aren't absolutely sure about something you want to do, ask about it, so someone else doesn't have to come in later to clean up your mess.
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Return to Navigation & Routing