Turn By Turn Display

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Turn By Turn Display

Postby ariesboy475 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:23 am

The turn-by-turn display still needs a lot of work. The number below the street name made me thought that, that's the distance I still need to travel before I get to the road mentioned above. However that is actually the total distance to the destination. The arrow and the name of the street to turn to next is not always correct. That info is incorrect because it is missing or skipping a few of the street/turns prior to getting to that step of the navigation.

When navigating to a destination or simply just having the map running, there are a few statistics that are of interest to many/some people. Currently only the current speed is available and only when you have a route set. Things like ETA, speed, direction (n/s/e/w or degrees), destination direction.
ariesboy475

Re: Turn By Turn Display

Postby ariesboy475 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:06 am

For successive turns that are, say with 1/4 mi/km, of the next turn. Is it possible to display 2-3 max turn directions? If you're not familiar with the area, you can miss those turns, since by the time they show up you should have already made those turns.

There are areas where several turns are within very short distance of each other.
ariesboy475

Postby ariesboy475 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:26 am

sketch wrote:
ariesboy475 wrote:For successive turns that are, say with 1/4 mi/km, of the next turn. Is it possible to display 2-3 max turn directions? If you're not familiar with the area, you can miss those turns, since by the time they show up you should have already made those turns.

There are areas where several turns are within very short distance of each other.

I've noticed that when the client is about to navigate me through two consecutive left turns, it says "Turn left! Turn left!"

While I previously thought it was somewhat of a glitch as it happened usually as it was doing a lot of recalculating, I discovered that it was indeed giving me another turn in advance. It'd be a lot more clear if there were a "then" between the two instructions, by the way.

My thoughts is that before you get into the initial turn, you should see 2 lines indicating consecutive left turns or whatever turn it happens to be. Yes I've heard the double turn left as well; however I think the lead time into the turns will make things easier.
ariesboy475

Postby ariesboy475 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:58 pm

An enhancement to the pushpin + icons is to color code them. So at a glance you can ID which type it is.
ariesboy475

Postby joeschmoe069 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:51 pm

I agree that ETA needs to be added. Speed and compass could also be useful in some situations too. However, since I can see many users not wanting them, placing a toggle switch in the options for these labels would be optimal. This would allow users to choose what they want displayed on the screen and let them determine how valuable the extra screen space is.

Most other GPS applications offer these simple labels, and it would put Waze at a disadvantage not to include them.
joeschmoe069

Postby kasrhp » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:09 am

I would say that ETA would be great. Speed, compass, and some other would be pointless. These are smaller screens, so only the most important info should be on the display. Most vehicles have a compass, and all have the speedometer.
kasrhp

Postby krankyd » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:24 pm

sketch you are right. we should modify this - I opened a ticket.
wazing like a hurricane
krankyd
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby sketch » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:46 pm

Why have we gone from number of feet to "0.0 miles" when approaching turns? This seems like a step backwards. Seeing things like "512 feet" or "63 feet" may have been too much information, but "0.0 miles" is definitely not enough information. I'd recommend rounding to the nearest 25 or 50 feet, if nothing else.
iphone 5 • ios 7.1 • waze 3.7.9.914 • mac os 10.9.2
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:16 am

ariesboy475 wrote:For successive turns that are, say with 1/4 mi/km, of the next turn. Is it possible to display 2-3 max turn directions? If you're not familiar with the area, you can miss those turns, since by the time they show up you should have already made those turns.

I've noticed that when the client is about to navigate me through two consecutive left turns, it says "Turn left! Turn left!"

While I previously thought it was somewhat of a glitch as it happened usually as it was doing a lot of recalculating, I discovered that it was indeed giving me another turn in advance. It'd be a lot more clear if there were a "then" between the two instructions, by the way.
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:07 pm

ariesboy475 wrote:My thoughts is that before you get into the initial turn, you should see 2 lines indicating consecutive left turns or whatever turn it happens to be. Yes I've heard the double turn left as well; however I think the lead time into the turns will make things easier.

Agree. TomTom does this by placing a small arrow (like a filled-in >) between the two turn instructions, and by saying "Turn left. Then, keep right."; "Exit right. Then, keep left."; "Keep right. Then, take the motorway."; etc., and each instruction naturally has its own matching symbol. I'd love to see something like this.
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing