Turn By Turn Display

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Turn By Turn Display

Postby sketch » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:36 pm

I have a couple ideas for the implementation of exit and entrance ramps... some of it would require changes in both Cartouche and the client, but I think it'd make some sense of the interface. (Note that the map images in these images aren't always accurate; the interface itself is what I'm focusing on)

First of all, it would be very nice to have the highway shields in the client, how they are in the Live Map. This is how they show up on signs, and it'd make visual identification easier. The Live Map seems to already create shields for Interstates and for US Highways.

In addition, I think control cities should be placed separately in a green box with white text, as they are on the sign. This box could be located on the right or the left, depending on the ramp location. Since most people I think navigate using the highway designation, this is the most important information and should stay in the normal turn box.
interstate.png
interstate.png (61.94 KiB) Viewed 1015 times

Also, it seems reasonable to include state highway shields in this too. I see two ways to implement this:
  • Establish a list of the way state highways are written (I know in some states it'll say, perhaps, "State Rte 182", but here in Louisiana they're referred to as "LA-3139", for example) and parse it like this, or
  • Use a general format (e.g. State Hwy 3139) and, based on the State listed in the editor, create the shield from that.

The Louisiana highway shield would hopefully look like this:
lahwy.png
lahwy.png (61.97 KiB) Viewed 1016 times

This shows the control city location for a ramp to the left.

Further, I think for exits, the road or city should be in the normal navigation space, and the exit number should be in the upper-right or upper-left corner based on the location of the exit. It seems more people would say "Take the Causeway exit" rather than "Take exit 228", but that could just be my perception. Anyway:
newspeed.png
newspeed.png (83.57 KiB) Viewed 1015 times

This also shows a new idea for the speedometer/distance to arrival/ETA location. The current speed indicator is bigger than it needs to be, and the circular shape takes up space unnecessarily. The square design includes three times the information in the same amount of space.

Anyway, these are just some ideas to make the interface cleaner and/or more functional.
iphone 5 • ios 7.1 • waze 3.7.9.914 • mac os 10.9.2
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby spankmymonkey » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:28 pm

I just find the map display impossibly cluttered and hard to discern at a glance. Sure, it's neat to see other Waze users the first time out, but it is really pointless and distracting most of the time. Showing other Wazers should be optional.

Sometimes I see the icons for incidents and sometimes they are just red pins that require me to touch them to find out more info. The red pins are useless--icons should always be displayed. The icons need to be simpler as it is currently difficult to determine what they are from a normal distance.

The maps NEVER updates current info smoothly and accurately as shown in the demo (on the iPhone client).
spankmymonkey

Postby speedwazer » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:06 pm

These are good suggestions and have been added to the feature request list. Thanks all!!
speedwazer

Postby The Fej » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi

It might be that adding the labels of ETA and distance should be added, though we are trying to conserve information since the mobile device screen is small and too much information means that there is less place for map display. As before, I will add it to the wish list.

I am not sure I got the part about the incorrect street/turn - if there is a right turn 1 mile ahead, the only name and arrow displayed will be of the turn, not of any info before it (the streets you are passing along the way). I.e. if you are to stay on the same road, no other information will be displayed, again, because of space restraints and trying not to overcrowd the screen with information. Did I misunderstand the issue you've raised ? Can you send a link with an example ?

Fej
The Fej
Waze Management
Waze Management

Previous

Return to Navigation & Routing