Routing via toll road when avoid tolls is checked

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Routing via toll road when avoid tolls is checked

Postby mapcat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:01 am

Any idea why checking avoid tolls won't return a valid route here? There's a free bridge ~ 2km away.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 84&endshow
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Re: Routing via toll road when avoid tolls is checked

Postby CBenson » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:35 pm

I don't know why waze wouldn't route the reporter around the toll bridge if avoid toll roads was checked. Waze routes me around the bridge with avoid toll roads checked if I ask for a route from one end of the bridge to the other.
Fargo.png
(82.02 KiB) Downloaded 1085 times
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby iainhouse » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:32 pm

There is a "sanity check" in the Waze routing engine that will avoid long detours if the start & destination points are quite close together - it could be the case here, looking at your screenshot.

We have encountered similar problems in the UK. One was a route from one side of an estuary to the other, where the start & end points are only a few miles apart as the crow flies, but the route requires a significant trip inland to get to a navigable crossing. Another involved a trip to the start of a hill-walking trail where the only route to it was around the other side of the hill from the starting point.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby mapcat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:07 pm

iainhouse wrote:There is a "sanity check" in the Waze routing engine that will avoid long detours if the start & destination points are quite close together - it could be the case here, looking at your screenshot.

We have encountered similar problems in the UK. One was a route from one side of an estuary to the other, where the start & end points are only a few miles apart as the crow flies, but the route requires a significant trip inland to get to a navigable crossing. Another involved a trip to the start of a hill-walking trail where the only route to it was around the other side of the hill from the starting point.

Right, I'd heard about that. Looks like instead of the "you can't get there from here" response, the routing engine returns a bad route instead. Bad route > no route > desired route.

CBenson wrote:I don't know why waze wouldn't route the reporter around the toll bridge if avoid toll roads was checked. Waze routes me around the bridge with avoid toll roads checked if I ask for a route from one end of the bridge to the other.

Yep. One more example of the route checker and the story from the user not checking out.

I'll send the example to Amit, wait for nothing to happen, and close it.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Return to Navigation & Routing