There is no 200-mile route limit

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: There is no 200-mile route limit

Postby addrian20 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:51 am

I think the routing limit is misunderstood. The route can go around the world, but the destination must be inside a 200mile circle around the origin. At least that's what I saw on the world server.

I got a 502km/311miles route on my phone (Android) but it goes around a looooong way. The straight distance is only 291km/180miles. Anything further gives out the 200mile error. The same happens in the Live Map as well.

Israel is ~260miles from north to south and I got a routing result in the Live Map.
Area Manager for Constanta, Romania
addrian20

There is no 200-mile route limit

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:40 pm

Here are snippets from my email thread with Alpha:

My initial email:
Alan wrote:Why is routing on the client restricted to about 200 miles, but routing on the Live Map is not? I can make very long routes on Live Map and it works great, but similar routing on the client does not work. They should use the same routing servers, so performance in figuring out the route cannot be the problem. So, why the restriction on the client and when will it be removed?

Thank you.

Alpha wrote:Thank you for your e-mail

We didn't find any problem with routes bigger than 200 miles,

can you please send us the origin and destination point of the route?

Regards,
Damian

(I am wrong about the wiki containing information about the 200-mile route limit in the following.)
Alan wrote:That is not correct. It is all over the forums and I believe in the wiki that the client cannot route farther than 200 miles. When attempted, it returns " Oops. Routing server internal error." it works in live map but not client. At least, iPhone client.

I just tried to route from Sherwood, OR to Hood River,OR and it works fine, but I get the error trying to route to Pendleton, OR.

Alpha wrote:We don't have restrictions on routes over 200 miles, sometimes we have problems with the calculation of long-range routes and the system loses the connection with the server in the middle of the calculation.
it is part of the system limitation but we are working on improving the mechanism for calculating the long-term track routes.
If the problem repeats itself try to reroute again.
Regards
Ron

Given this, I don't really know if they understand what we are seeing in the client. As I've posted before, Live Map calculates long-distance routes well and quickly.

In the end, Waze says they don't explicitly restrict 200+ mile routes, but there is some other restriction in the system which essentially makes it look this way.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby krankyd » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:23 pm

Sorry about the confusion - as I explained to Alan over email - the limit is still there, in most locations.
We removed it and played around with it for a while, in some areas on the West Coast of the US.
However, in those areas and other areas - you might still get this error message, as we generally cannot support routes that are longer than 200 miles.
We hope to be able to support them soon, and we're definitely working in that direction.

thanks and sorry for the confusion.
wazing like a hurricane
krankyd
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby obsolete29 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:12 pm

That's pretty strange that they would say that. I have an Android and it specifically says that it doesn't do routes longer than 200 miles.

Area Manager : Tennessee, US
Wiki: Waze FAQ| Map Editing | Map Editing Best Practices
twitter: obsolete29
obsolete29

Postby RallyChris » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:03 pm

I've also seen this as the actual stated issue in the client as a pop up while trying to route. I hope this is not one of those, "I can't see it, so it doesn't exists issues".

I actually replied to a person that got this message not probably more than a month or two ago.

Hopefully this is a limitation that has now been removed.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby RallyChris » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:03 pm

There are cases when you can get a route more than 200 miles... so maybe, the limit is still in there, but is just longer than the dialog states.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby redted28 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:16 am

I am also having problems. I am not able to get any miles over 200 when I load a destination into Waze on my phone. it tells me that it is being worked on. I live in Fort Wayne, IN and like using waze it takes me every where that I need to go. The only other problem that I have is that I have been loosing signal a lot while traveling. Is that going to be getting any better soon?
redted28

Postby RickW-NC » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:51 pm

I just got the message on my iPod going from NC to PA. I would think it should be easy to reproduce (and as far as I know, it has always been like that).
Verizon iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 Waze 3.1.0.0 (Crown, AM)
RickW-NC

Postby Unholy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi all,

let me clarify this issue for good:

routing above 200 miles is currently impossible.
we did enabled it in specific areas (in the US) for technical test we performed a few months ago.
I apologize for any misunderstanding with this issue - you were absolutely right.

Thanks...and sorry...

Ori
Unholy
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby unwallflower » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:47 pm

That's funny, because I'm positive that at SOME point Waze support explicitly stated that they have a 200-mile limit on route calculations.

This reason sort of makes sense, though. Still frustrating that support says conflicting things.
unwallflower

Return to Navigation & Routing