Announcement: routing through landmarks

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Announcement: routing through landmarks

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Ok, this is fine and all, but I have to voice my frustration. I don't recall seeing this feature being requested on uservoice, nor mentioned anywhere in terms of existing issues or upcoming features list on the wiki. (http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Navigation_problems, http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Temp ... t_problems, http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Temp ... priorities). :x

There are serious bugs in Cartouche right now and Waze is taking resource time to implement an unrequested, and might I suggest unnecessary feature? Simply using Parking Lot road for these locations, which is likely the proper road type anyway, inflicts a pretty high penalty, which makes routing through these locations extremely unlikely.
Last edited by AlanOfTheBerg on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.1 | Waze v3.7.9.925
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Announcement: routing through landmarks

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:16 pm

I'll agree too, I wouldn't even say this is an improvement! Seems a bizarre addition when there are already perfectly good (or even better) ways to do it!

Focus on what we've asked for, quit doing things nobody has ever mentioned, quit asking facebook users for ideas then ignore your own suggestion site, quit driving for more users to pile the pressure on an increasingly crippled foundation!
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Excuse me if I don't get too excited just yet!
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby filpaul » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:01 pm

+1

I haven't seen anything about either routing or the other big problems on http://status.waze.com/ There was a little blurb 8 days ago, but nothing since. Now I'm having other problems with cartouche, but don't know if/when anything is or will be worked on!
2014 Jeep Patriot -  iPhone 5
Area Manager for Sarasota-Bradenton, Florida
filpaul

Postby hallmike » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:45 pm

For over a year I've been voicing my displeasure with them adding new "features" and ignoring bugs and glitches, but nothing has changed. And it always seems like whenever they add something new it breaks 3 or 4 other things. I'll be curious to see the new updated bug list after this change....

dmcconachie wrote:quit asking facebook users for ideas then ignore your own suggestion site, quit driving for more users to pile the pressure on an increasingly crippled foundation!

Yes! This frustrates me more than anything else. They keep asking for suggestions everywhere EXCEPT their own forum, which gets virtually ignored while they surf Facebook or jet around the world meeting with individual users. Have any of the meet and greets been with a long term user from this forum?

ATTENTION WAZE: Your strongest supporters and most avid users are right here in this forum. We work hard to make Waze better. You should spend more time here listening to us.
Image ...when you care enough to Waze the very best
hallmike

Postby harling » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:26 pm

unwallflower wrote:I second your frustration. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Cartouche has become virtually unusable to me in the past few weeks. Adding features that nobody is even requesting, when there are some really good requests being ignored on uservoice, and some serious problems in Cartouche that persist even after several weeks... well, it makes no sense to me. :?

Hear hear. We have been unable to close Update Requests for 9 days, route highlighting in some areas has been broken for months (even after being fixed for a day or two), etc..

I understand that resources are limited; that there is a pipeline between new feature planning and release; and that putting more people on a problem doesn't necessarily get it fixed faster. But every place I have worked, fixing regression failures takes top priority, and I can't help but get the sense that this has not been the case here. :|
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:02 pm

Unholy wrote:we are still working to fix critical bugs on the current cartouche, but our main goal is to release the new cartouche ASAP and with minimum bugs as possible...
this new feature that we added is not directly related to the cartouche, but to the routing server...

Thanks Ori. Can you confirm that the inability to close Update Requests qualifies as a critical bug?
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:17 pm

unwallflower wrote:
petervdveen wrote:Don't you have a backup of the system? ;)

THIS. Maybe I'm just being ignorant, but for most of these problems we have a pretty good idea of when they started. You guys have to know what you changed around that same time period. Like I said, maybe I'm just being ignorant... but I really don't understand why it takes weeks to reverse whatever these changes were that caused the problem.

I'm thinking it must be that they're making server-side changes for the new map editor (e.g., database structure), and then trying to patch the current Cartouche accordingly. It begs the question about whether these back-end changes are tested against Cartouche in advance, or whether they wait until something breaks, and then decide whether to fix it or leave it broken until the new editor is released.
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby petervdveen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Don't you have a backup of the system? ;)
Coördinator BeNeLux
- Nederland Belgium Lëtzebuerg
ImageImageImageImage

peter@wazenederland.nl peter@wazebelgium.be
petervdveen
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Unholy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:44 pm

Hello everyone,

as most of you know, we are working on a new and improve map editor that will replace the Cartouche.
the new and improved (and still unnamed...) is in it's final stages of creation. when it will be ready you will notice that we added many features that you suggested over time on uservoice, mails and our forums.
we are still working to fix critical bugs on the current cartouche, but our main goal is to release the new cartouche ASAP and with minimum bugs as possible.

this new feature that we added is not directly related to the cartouche, but to the routing server's calculation that can affect the routes and create illogical routes.

thank you all,

Ori
Unholy
Waze Team
Waze Team

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing