[[SUPPORT]] Bug: Event radius changes on select/cancel route

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

[[SUPPORT]] Bug: Event radius changes on select/cancel route

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:25 am

I have found that putting in a destination to navigate to will change your event radius to totally wacky values, or change it to show events within the radius you selected of your destination.

But if you cancel navigation, it appears that events within the maximum radius will be displayed.

I see this happen on the iPhone 2.2.0.0, and would like to get confirmation from anyone and any platform for Waze before I submit it as a bug.

EDIT: Here is a video on YouTube showing this happening. It happens even if routing is beyond the 200-mile limit and you get a routing server error, as shown in the video.

Or, you can tell me why you think this is a desired feature, because I don't believe it is.

Thanks.
Last edited by AlanOfTheBerg on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.1 | Waze v3.7.9.925
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Bug or feature? Event radius changes on select/cancel route

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:54 am

hallmike wrote:Confirmed on Android....Maybe it is letting you know about events along your route?

Thanks, Mike. That is my thinking too. I'm not sure if it's "along route" or within your event radius setting of starting point and destination. This could be a feature, then, not a bug. But the "sticking around" part after canceling navigation is buggy, at least.

I posted a video link in my original post to see the "testing" I did with this.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: [[SUPPORT]] Bug: Event radius changes on select/cancel route

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:54 pm

gerben wrote:I also see a higher number of reports when I zoom out to view the whole country. I think the radius is extended to fit the whole visible screen.

When starting navigation, your whole route is displayed for a few seconds, causing the above to happen.

I agree with you. The video shows this happening. I emailed this to Alpha and hopefully they will tell us whether this is expected behavior or not.

Personally, I am ok with it showing these, but only if I've selected it. Having a preference setting for "along route" as we have a button for during navigation would be great, but it has to be persistent and consistent.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gerben » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Speculation:

I also see a higher number of reports when I zoom out to view the whole country. I think the radius is extended to fit the whole visible screen.

When starting navigation, your whole route is displayed for a few seconds, causing the above to happen.
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby hallmike » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:46 am

Confirmed on Android. My events radius is set to 100 miles, and I had 4 events when I started Waze - all were under 100 miles away. I then set a navigation destination 143 miles away and suddenly had 17 events, up to 126.5 miles away. They all stayed after I canceled the navigation. Maybe it is letting you know about events along your route?
Image ...when you care enough to Waze the very best
hallmike

Postby hallmike » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:00 pm

I just zoomed out as far as I could go on the client (Android) and waited 10 minutes but the number of reports never changed.
Image ...when you care enough to Waze the very best
hallmike

Postby petervdveen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:48 pm

gerben wrote:Speculation:

I also see a higher number of reports when I zoom out to view the whole country. I think the radius is extended to fit the whole visible screen.

I also noticed this.
But, My radius is set to unlimited.
But even now if I zoom out I get more updates, so unlimited isn't really unlimited :P
Coördinator BeNeLux
- Nederland Belgium Lëtzebuerg
ImageImageImageImage

peter@wazenederland.nl peter@wazebelgium.be
petervdveen
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby RickW-NC » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:57 am

I have seen junk left over after a reroute also. It will ask me to turn onto a road I am on or just left. Eventually it fixes itself. If you route to a very nearby destination, all the far away traffic info seems to clear itself up. cheap fix but...
Verizon iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 Waze 3.1.0.0 (Crown, AM)
RickW-NC

Postby Unholy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I have found that putting in a destination to navigate to will change your event radius to totally wacky values, or change it to show events within the radius you selected of your destination.

But if you cancel navigation, it appears that events within the maximum radius will be displayed.

I see this happen on the iPhone 2.2.0.0, and would like to get confirmation from anyone and any platform for Waze before I submit it as a bug.

EDIT: Here is a video on YouTube showing this happening. It happens even if routing is beyond the 200-mile limit and you get a routing server error, as shown in the video.

Or, you can tell me why you think this is a desired feature, because I don't believe it is.

Thanks.

Hi,
thank you very much for the detailed report!!
we are checking this bug, and when will have results, we'll let you know.

edit:

after checking it, we got to these conclusions:
1. The routing itself extends the event radius - this is by definition
2. Canceling the route does not restore the event radius - this is because the server doesn't know the routing is canceled - meaning, it's a bug which we need to fix.

thanks!

Ori
Unholy
Waze Team
Waze Team

Return to Navigation & Routing