Preventing a U-Turn

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Preventing a U-Turn

Postby CBenson » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:12 am

No, I haven't been able to reproduce it either.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:25 am

CBenson wrote:Oh no. Its back.
PennU.jpg

Can't reproduce on Live Map.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:10 pm

Oh no. Its back.
PennU.jpg
(240.91 KiB) Downloaded 751 times
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:39 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CBenson wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It would appear the only logical way to disallow a u-turn would be to restrict all turns on the junction, then manually enable each allowed turn.
Thanks for this advice, it has worked.
Thanks for the verification. Now I want for an easier way to restrict U-turns because for a 4-way intersection, this is a pain in the butt to set up properly.

What, you have a problem with manually enabling 12 turns, just to disable U-turns at one intersection?! :roll:

So: how definitively can we say that "allow all turns" and "restrict all turns", as undocumented side-effects, are the only means at present to enable/disable U-turns at an intersection? Do we have (can we get) confirmation from the developers that this is the case, and add it to the Wiki?
harling

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:14 pm

CBenson wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It would appear the only logical way to disallow a u-turn would be to restrict all turns on the junction, then manually enable each allowed turn.

Thanks for this advice, it has worked.

Thanks for the verification. Now I want for an easier way to restrict U-turns because for a 4-way intersection, this is a pain in the butt to set up properly.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:49 pm

Thanks for this advice, it has worked. The u-turn was pushed up to the next intersection, where I then restricted all turns and reenabled the proper turns. This has had to be repeated a few times as the u-turn was pushed further up Penn. Ave. I think its finally up to an intersection that is not marked "No U-Turn."
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:29 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I thought that Waze allowed u-turns at junctions which have had "enable all turns" function performed. Since you cannot otherwise enable a turn back onto the same segment, this makes sense to me.

It would appear the only logical way to disallow a u-turn would be to restrict all turns on the junction, then manually enable each allowed turn.

I'm pretty sure that I have done that as I have been trying to get this change for the past week or so. I've done it again, so we'll see if the routing changes.
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Now, while I generally disagree with the road-splitting idea, this is a really wide road at this point. Even I might be tempted to split it. :o But, I think the turn restriction thing is better.

Well I hope the turn restriction thing does work.

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Curious:
1) How does one get from Hwy 295 W to Pennsylvania Ave N?

You don't! That's the problem. I'm not sure of the history, but from Penn. Ave. south there are not exits to any of the bridges over the Anacostia River from southbound 295 into downtown Washington, DC. One heading downtown from west of the city should take one of the northern bridges. My understanding (which is based solely on rumor and inuendo) is that there were all sorts of plans for additional freeways to downtown DC in the 1950's and 60's but only the Southwest/Southeast Freeway got built. This is only now being corrected with the reconstruction of the 11th street Bridge. But as the new 11th Street Bridge is not yet finished, routing southbound on 295 to downtown DC really is a mistake. Thus, waze routing this way is a problem.
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:2) Is "DC Hwy 295" proper? Because by Waze standards, I would think this should be treated as a state hwy, even though DC is not a state.

It is the only numbered DC highway so it won't be much of an issued to correct should waze ever actually do anything to parse the "State Hwy" language.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby unwallflower » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Aha! What Alan said makes sense. I had never previously considered that "enable all turns" might do something different than enabling each turn manually.

It's a wide road, but I still would be hesitant to split it. All of the connections means it would be awfully complicated.
unwallflower

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:18 pm

CBenson wrote:I have not encountered a route with u-turn on a non-split road before, so I'm not sure that u-turns are intented to work. Are u-turns supposed to be an option or is this an error in the routing routine?

I thought that Waze allowed u-turns at junctions which have had "enable all turns" function performed. Since you cannot otherwise enable a turn back onto the same segment, this makes sense to me.

It would appear the only logical way to disallow a u-turn would be to restrict all turns on the junction, then manually enable each allowed turn.

Now, while I generally disagree with the road-splitting idea, this is a really wide road at this point. Even I might be tempted to split it. :o But, I think the turn restriction thing is better.

Curious:
1) How does one get from Hwy 295 W to Pennsylvania Ave N?
2) Is "DC Hwy 295" proper? Because by Waze standards, I would think this should be treated as a state hwy, even though DC is not a state.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:27 pm

unwallflower wrote:You would HAVE to have a segment that connects the two split directions at intersections, in order to allow left turns onto cross streets. Manually adding turn restrictions here or omitting the connecting segments altogether isn't a solution at all, because it would also prevent turns onto cross streets. Please explain how this suggestion works, maybe I'm not understanding correctly.

Actually, the U-turn is occuring at the end of the ramp from northbound Anacostia Fwy. to westbound Penn. Ave. So there would be no segment that connects the two split directions at that point. Even at the next intesection, there is no cross traffic, only a left turn from westbound Penn. Ave. to the ramp to northbound Anacostia Fwy; so you could allow the left turn there without allowing a U-turn. The Penn./Minn. Ave intersection is so convoluted you could probally work something out to separate the left turns and thus prevent U-turns. However, all this complication seems to be what AlanOfTheBerg and Harling are warning us against when we consider splitting.

unwallflower wrote:Additionally, I don't think that road has enough (or any, really) of a median to necessitate splitting.

Sorry CBenson... I'm not really sure how u-turns work, to be honest.

I have not encountered a route with u-turn on a non-split road before, so I'm not sure that u-turns are intented to work. Are u-turns supposed to be an option or is this an error in the routing routine?
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing