Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Primary City / Town Name on MA Street Segments

Post by mudge42
The current MA standard for city/town names on street segments is to use one of the 351 official names as primary for streets. While this works well in most cases, there are situations (notably Boston’s neighborhoods and the Cape’s villages) where strict adherence to this rule can cause routing problems, and we have deviated from the rule in the past (particularly on the Cape).

To address this issue, the following change is proposed for street segments only (does not apply to Places):

1. Use official name as primary, unless:

2. There is a well-established village/neighborhood/CDP name, with defined boundaries, that is more commonly used (and has been cleared with SMs and listed in the MA wazeo as accepted). This can be used as the primary, with official name as alternate. [Consideration: will official name as alternate still create routing issues?]

3. Even if the boundaries are not well-defined, there is duplication in street name / address between villages (e.g. Harwichport/West Harwich) or a neighborhood vs. city (think Dorchester/Boston), leading to routing issues which could be solved by using village/neighborhood name as primary. Again, clearance by SM required. [But do you re-do an entire neighborhood just to fix one of two problem streets? Or keep more targeted?]

4. Any other oddball cases. Discussion, agreement, and publishing on the MA wazeo required.

Please reply with questions, comments, concerns, etc. Thanks.

mudge42
mudge42
Country Manager
Country Manager

POSTER_ID:16985788

Send a message

Post by jaywazin
I believe both an overlay script and a WME GIS would be possible. I've also created overlay scripts but not nearly as elegantly as MOMs...

Chestnut Hill is a funny entity, being a village made of up three different Municipalities. I suspect it's not in the MSAG since there there were not duplicated street names which needed differentiation; MSAG only used "neighborhoods" of "villages" when the municipality+street name was not unique.
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by jaywazin
There's some vagueness on how the autocomplete works as it seems autocomplete is not populated via the waze database, only if you do a full search do things work as expected. I've added the general topic to the upcoming webinar q/a list and maybe will get a little bit more clarity.
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by jaywazin
I have made a minor edit to the Massachusetts wazeo page referencing this discussion as well as a tracking page that the state managers can access.

Remember that the proposed changes are for specific problematic streets, not for entire neighborhoods (at least for now).

Please contact a MA SM if a change is needed so that we can keep track of these exceptions.
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by juliansean
Glad you came up with a solution. Hope it works as expected. Thanks for working on the 800 Washington St for me.

Sean
juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM
SM: TX, LA, MS, AR, OK
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

Post by juliansean
I'd like permission to add an alt city of Charleston on this segment https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=u ... s=22960044 as the lofts here have their address as Charleston http://prntscr.com/oeljhc. By not having the alt city, we're letting Google have full control over the users selection of that address. Thank you for the consideration. https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=u ... 50.6728095
juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

Post by juliansean
Strange that it didn’t have an address. It did earlier today. Thanks for taking care of it.

Sean
juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM

Post by juliansean
SanzClew wrote:I saw that you had already converted a PP for that address to a RPP. It didn't have an address so I added the 30 Caldwell, Charlestown as the address. At the present we are not renaming streets unless there is a duplicate name elsewhere in Boston.
@SanzClew I was going by this wiki article https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Ho ... _hierarchy that states "Waze RPP (with house number, street name, city name, and entry/exit point) if there is the listed city name as a primary or alternate city name on a nearby segment."

We don't have that there, so the RPP is not being used.
juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM

Post by juliansean
I added the alt name. I will only add the alt name to segments where RPP's exist. That should hold to the requirement from the NER but still follow the pyramid. Thank you for your time working with me on this.
juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM

Post by mudge42
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. I have updated Boylston St in JP to have "Jamaica Plain" as the primary city, and "Boston" as the alternate (did not require adding Jamaica Plain as a new city name). After the tile update, we can test.
mudge42
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message