Updating State Level Mapping Resources on Wiki

Post by dpwgt
The only links from the wiki page which still work are:
  • Massachusetts Interactive Property Map
  • OLIVER
  • List of Numbered Routes in Massachusetts (Wikipedia)
Is it ok to fix the following links?
  • 2018 Road Inventory: webmap (reached from the landing page)
  • Rest Areas: webmap (reached from the landing page)
  • Scenic Byways: webmap (reached from the landing page)
  • Trucking Network: it seems this dataset was removed?
  • OLIVER: it is possible to use a custom URL that activates specific layers automatically, like "MassDOT Roads by Road Type" and "Highway Mile Markers". (The syntax is documented here.) Thoughts?
  • Numbered Routes with Mile Points: yes, the dataset called Mileposts exists (webmap, landing page), but is it actually useful to link to this apart from OLIVER (which displays the same underlying data)? This literally only contains mile markers without the road segments connecting them. It would be more suited for GIS software users, who aren't otherwise being considered here.
dpwgt

POSTER_ID:17872161

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
Great find and hopefully we can get these updated soon pending local approval. One other thing that could be really useful is reaching out to JustinS83 on the Scripts Discord Server about looking adding these resources to the WME Open Other Maps Script. It would be wonderful to see if we can click and link into these GIS systems.
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

Post by dpwgt
mudge42 wrote:I'm put off by the ToS on the arcgis.com site, and would prefer to use MassDOT-hosted tools (although there may be no other option for the interactive property map).
The webmaps at arcgis.com pull GIS data from gis.massdot.state.ma.us, which runs ArcGIS Server and is publicly accessible. I have used this server before in QGIS for the desktop; perhaps there are other web-based options that are compatible. I believe OLIVER only works with GeoServer (it seems MassGIS uses both GeoServer and ArcGIS Server).

On that note, the current "MassDOT Roads" layer in OLIVER is apparently based on the 2017 Road Inventory. (Not sure why it's lagging behind the latest inventory.)

The same MassDOT server is also hosting web applications, including: As a heads up, there are also links to arcgis.com on the Cities and Towns page (see Boston, Easton, and Everett).
mudge42 wrote: Also note that the road inventory on the arcgis.com site does not include the federal functional class layer, from what I can tell.
It's in the 13th data field.

For anyone wanting to explore MassDOT's datasets, here's how I reached them (and where you can find others they publish): https://www.mass.gov/maps-data-and-reports > "Go to GeoDOT" > "Open Data" > "Roadways". (If you are on mobile, you will only see "Open Data" if you tap ⓘ at the top-right of the page.)
dpwgt
Send a message

Post by DrivingWithBill
I was able to have many of them added for New York state into that script. It made things much easier zooming into the respective state GIS
DrivingWithBill
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
-Drivingwithbill

this space intentionally left blank

Post by mudge42
It may take a little while to review and decide on those links. I'm put off by the ToS on the arcgis.com site, and would prefer to use MassDOT-hosted tools (although there may be no other option for the interactive property map). Also note that the road inventory on the arcgis.com site does not include the federal functional class layer, from what I can tell.

Stayed tuned.
dpwardgt wrote:The only links from the wiki page which still work are:
  • Massachusetts Interactive Property Map
  • OLIVER
  • List of Numbered Routes in Massachusetts (Wikipedia)
Is it ok to fix the following links?
  • 2018 Road Inventory: webmap (reached from the landing page)
  • Rest Areas: webmap (reached from the landing page)
  • Scenic Byways: webmap (reached from the landing page)
  • Trucking Network: it seems this dataset was removed?
  • OLIVER: it is possible to use a custom URL that activates specific layers automatically, like "MassDOT Roads by Road Type" and "Highway Mile Markers". (The syntax is documented here.) Thoughts?
  • Numbered Routes with Mile Points: yes, the dataset called Mileposts exists (webmap, landing page), but is it actually useful to link to this apart from OLIVER (which displays the same underlying data)? This literally only contains mile markers without the road segments connecting them. It would be more suited for GIS software users, who aren't otherwise being considered here.
mudge42
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by W1QA
I wonder if the state would be receptive to creating a customised version of OLIVER for us - much like the MuniMapper mini-sites are?
W1QA
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message