Route 9, Southborough

Moderators: delilush, orbitc, banished

Route 9, Southborough

Postby world_llce6jsp » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:35 pm

Hi,

We have numerous reports of inappropriate directions but we cannot fix them since it is a level 3+ road. Route 9 is a barrier divided highway and needs to be redrawn as such. Can someone of a higher level fix this?
world_llce6jsp

Re: Route 9, Southborough

Postby AndyPoms » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:27 pm

MA-9 does not meet the guidelines to be split & is kept locked at 5+ specifically to prevent it from being edited. It has been split in the past and it actually causes more problems then it fixes.
[ img ]
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby world_llce6jsp » Fri May 02, 2014 6:03 pm

With all due respect - what about the barriers in the median. Can certain sections be made split? Same with the VFW parkway....
world_llce6jsp

Postby grsing » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:21 pm

Just wanted to bring this up again, we keep getting a lot of increasingly frustrated reports of Route 9 turning issues. I assume we could solve this with a lot of carefully edited turn restrictions? Since the whole thing is locked at 5 (reasoning understood), this would need a fair amount of senior attention, but it seems like we're going to be turning off users if they can't reliably navigate this major road.
grsing

Postby sockslabs » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:58 pm

One way to work around this is to add driveways with turn restrictions on every parking lot entrance. But it simply doesn't scale, especially locked at level 5. What would be useful is a "jersey barrier" segment type to automatically prevent left turns coming from an area with no segment, in other words an unmapped parking lot.
SocksLabs
Area Manager: Shrewsbury/Northboro/Westboro, MA
[ img ]
Helpful resources: Map Editor | Best Practices
sockslabs
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jasonm128 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:46 pm

A word of warning...this response is probably going to turn into a rant.

This is a very old problem which the Waze developers have decided to ignore. I read some of the update requests and the users are correct; there is a fundamental flaw in the Waze infrastructure but the developers don't give a s**t. The routing server has never paid attention to the side of the road a particular destination is on. Years ago, we used to have the ability to mark roads as "divided" exactly as you describe but the routing server ignored this attribute. People were frustrated that a road was marked as divided but Waze took them to the wrong side. Did Waze choose to fix the routing server to use this info that had been added to thousands of miles of roads? No, they decided to "fix" the inconsistency by getting rid of the "divided" attribute. Unfortunately, this did nothing to fix the actual routing problem. They just don't care.

I don't think there's any way to handle this kind of road properly given the tools we have. We should probably make sure the U-turn points are properly mapped and tell the users to re-navigate to their destination after they have passed it on the wrong side of the road. Frankly, I think most users are smart enough to realize what is happening and just make the next U-turn without complaining about it.
Area Manager : NW Suburbs of Boston, MA
HTC Droid DNA - Android 4.4.2 - Verizon
[ img ]
jasonm128

Postby sockslabs » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:54 pm

I simply gave up responding to user reports on Route 9. It's hard to say to the users "Waze's handing of divided highways is inadequate right now, there's currently no way to correct this seemingly simple problem." So rather than close out these bugs and sweep them under the rug, my hope is that enough red flags appear along Route 9 that someone higher up notices the seriousness of this problem.
SocksLabs
Area Manager: Shrewsbury/Northboro/Westboro, MA
[ img ]
Helpful resources: Map Editor | Best Practices
sockslabs
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby BaronScot » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:11 am

my feeling is that if it is so important for them to lock it, then somebody should be monitoring it then. im not going to chase somebody down over and over to fix these issues that were not addressed correctly. i try to focus on areas i can correct properly and leave the "important" areas to others.

i dont want to make it seem like i dont want to help, i just dont see alot of useful assistance or guidance from higher level editors in general.
BaronScot

Postby grsing » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:25 pm

There are definitely some who are willing to help; I got some very good assistance sorting out some of the Boston tunnels from an L5. But this area seems to be a wasteland, and there are so many issues with it that it'd be exhausting to get L5 help every time a report comes up. Sockslabs, I think I'll go with your solution and just leave them be, since there's nothing I can do to fix them.
grsing

Postby rmcmanusjr » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:56 pm

Just read through this thread. thanks for all the info and updates. found this to be very usefull. long time wazer... New to editing.
Rmcmanusjr

MA State Wiki Page - MA State Forum
[ img ]Pittsfield, MA, Tyringham, MA
[ img ][ img ]
rmcmanusjr
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to Massachusetts