Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

MiXTelematics maps?

Post by ChrisFromZA
I just read this article.

I quote:
The involvement of MiX Telematics in bringing Waze to South Africa is highly valuable as local users get a head-start in the form of a base road grid across South Africa. This is made possible by the injection of MiX Telematics’ existing positional data into the Waze app, thus ensuring all the major roads in SA are covered, though Wazers will still be able to map lesser-known roads as they drive them.
I wonder how this will affect the maps that are already in place? Will they do a clean sweep and replace it with the MiX Telematics map or will they try to merge the two?
ChrisFromZA
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:1739154

Send a message
Area manager: Johannesburg, Boksburg, Westonaria, Kimberley - South Africa
Hardware: Samsung Galaxy SIII
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by ChrisFromZA
I asked the @WazeSA Twitter account the same question, and they said MiXTelematics would contribute to their maps. I hope this means they are using that data to fix up routes like the N1 and N3 (I don't think anybody has the energy to fix up all those routes).
ChrisFromZA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Area manager: Johannesburg, Boksburg, Westonaria, Kimberley - South Africa
Hardware: Samsung Galaxy SIII
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by glipsie
Scary thought ...
Normally its a merge. Hopefully it works better than the UK basemap import!
glipsie
Send a message

Post by glipsie
Yeah. It would be difficult to isolate sections like that though so I don't think it will happen.
I'm busy fixing the N3. Its taking a long time as I'm missing portions of a drive so I need to request AM for those sections.
glipsie
Send a message