Consistency in SA

Post by Chriseleven
I see there are numerous variables in how roads are designated. There are roads that change from freeways to major highways and back, some town the minor highways change to primary streets and in some towns they stay as minor highways all the way through. N roads are normally shown as freeways where in some places they are single lane roads

Do we agree with the description as in http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/South_Africa ? If not - should we not fix it?
Chriseleven

POSTER_ID:6301053

Send a message

Post by Chriseleven
This is deja-vu

About 5 years ago this exact discussion happened with the contributors to openstreetmap. Have a look at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sout ... Guidelines where the final conclusions are. Openstreetmap has more classifications of roads than Waze

My take - Freeway means access via on and offramps. Might be dual carriageway. eg Platinum highway
Major Highway are the N roads
Minor highways are the R roads and can be tar or gravel (Waze is set up for the first world)
Chriseleven
Send a message

Post by Chriseleven
https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&l ... TTTTTTTTFT

What about this one - Here the R512 changes from a Primary Street to a Minor Highway. Would major highway not be appropriate for both?

I note Major Highway is not used much in the Jhb area
Chriseleven
Send a message

Post by Chriseleven
I think the road type need not "look nice" on the map but should be telling the Waze user which road is better that the alternate.
My view is that we should use Freeway for all the proper designated freeways, eg the M1, etc as well as the National roads between the major cities. I agree that the freeway, highway, etc stops when you enter a town and should change to a primary street (unless of course it is still a freeway)

Major highways should be multi lane highways/well constructed, wide highways between cities/towns that are not designated as freeways. I would like these to be differentiated from minor highways that could vary from reasonable roads to ones where you might need to drive very slowly due to road condition.

Minor highways could even include good well maintained gravel roads but lets not go there.
Chriseleven
Send a message

Post by Chriseleven
I am happy to go with the SA road designators. That would make it simple, eg:
N and M roads are Freeways
Rxx are major highways
Rxxx are minor highways
primary streets are exactly that - the street you would use to drive right through a town or suburb
Chriseleven
Send a message

Post by Chriseleven
This of course clashes with the thoughts of RodNav. As I found out when the N2 between PE and Cape Town changes from a freeway to a major highway :D
Chriseleven
Send a message
Last edited by Chriseleven on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Chriseleven
OK - can we agree that N routes that are not double carriageway and have side road intersections without on and off ramps are changed to major highways?
Chriseleven
Send a message

Post by Chriseleven
Must admit my preference would be for Primary Street through the towns but that is not a very strong preference so I am happy either way
Chriseleven
Send a message

Post by Chriseleven
I think you will edit roads that are closed for a temporary period.

In the case of the Ght road I do not think it was really necessary to show the small detour as routing remains the same. The main idea of marking temp closures is to get the routing correct.
Chriseleven
Send a message

Post by diepes
I bumped into this post trying to figure out why N12 long-distance routing is a bit dodgy.
Dodgy:
- U-turns as i enter a town, probably because main route is Primary and not Highway.
- Going through town and estimated time drops by more than a hour on re-route.

The above posts does not give a real answer ;) . For long-distance routing to work it seems roads through a town should be major-highways ?

Example. (Going on N12 from North to South to George, Waze recommends u-turn back to N-10 as I entered Britstown)
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=27.709 ... 145&zoom=0#

Also found post referring to continuity in road types.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:Nhanway ... Road_Types

Is it a flaw / SA problem in waze that a route through a town can not be used for local routing and long-distance options ?
Maybe waze need a setting per country to search through smaller routes or connections.
diepes
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Pieter