Waze Taking You To Dangerous Routes

Post by NatalieVictor
Dear Waze,

RE: Waze Routes Respondsible For Two Severe Accidents/Hijacking at Gunpoint

I would like to lay a severe complaint.

Your app is the reason myself and my wife had two near death experiences.

1. Your app is the reason my wife recently had a terrible accident and wrote off her car. We had NO medical insurance or car insurance. We lost that car. My wife was navigating from Johannesburg, Randburg to Kimberley, Northern Cape to visit her parents whom had just been released from hospital. Your app took her through back roads and onto a dangerous badly maintained and deserted road. She pulled over on the side of the road and phoned me in panic. She tried to push on as sitting on the side of the road is not safe in South Africa. In desperation in trying to avoid pot holes in the road and no where else to go she hit a terrible pot hole and rolled her car - On a Road that is not suppose to be used when traveling to Kimberley. She called me and it would have taken me nearly 4 hours to get to where she was. She should never have been on that route. Why the fuck would your app send her on such an obscure route? You cannot say that it was to avoid traffic as this was middle of the day and the roads were quiet. Which was even worse as she was stuck in a rolled car down an embankment and little traffic.

2. Secondly, your app is the reason that both my wife and I were held at GUN POINT yesterday and we were in an attempted hijacking. I am a television and film producer and director and I was leaving my house in Randburg yesterday, 23 November 2016, after picking up my wife and we were on our way to Sasani Studios to attend a recording of The Voice South Africa. Firstly, the ENTIRE day your app would not work. It continuously told me that it could not locate the end point and other times said that it could not locate the start point. After typing in the address again it took us on the strangest route - along the highway then told us to take the Marlboro Off Ramp then turn left onto a strange road. After using wake for so long I trusted it and turned. This time, your app lead us into one of the most dangerous places in Johannesburg. Your app led us into Alexandra township. We are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with no where to go. Within MINUTES we were surrounded by armed men threatening to shoot us and demanding we get out of my car. We were stuck in the middle of a township. Two females and armed men. After a major struggle and mental and physical breakdowns we managed, somehow to get to safety. The only thing that people kept saying is "Why did you travel that route. Why did you go that direction. Why did you go into Alexandra?" My only answer was "Waze... Waze... Waze" - Other apps avoid known danger zones and hijacking zones. They also warn you about dangerous areas you are about to go into and alert you about known kill zones before driving and during your drive. Your app on the other hand seems to go out of its way to take you onto the most obscure routes and ends up in the worst crime areas of the country.

Please note - this is NOT the only two incidents we have had with Waze but they are most certainly the most horrific. We have lost one car, been held at gunpoint and are struggling financially with one car and now mentally and physically because of the hijacking. At this point we cannot even afford to go to the doctor or even try get counselling.

I will be going out of my way to alert people of Waze and the dangers of using Waze. Once I am in calmer state as I am still sitting here, just hours after having guns at my head, still shaking. Due to my profession I have amazing media contacts and I will be going out of my way to use them.

Its strange, in the past few hours after this ordeal, so many other people have come forward and told me about their horrendous experiences due to Waze taking them into these dangerous zones.

This is South-fucking-Africa people. Adjust your apps to be country specific because you are putting peoples lives at risk.

Natalie Victor-Carelse
[e-mail removed for privacy reasons - this forum is public to everyone one the web]
NatalieVictor

POSTER_ID:17403861

Send a message

Post by Electrozulu
Hi Natalie,

I am awfully sorry to hear to about your horrendous experiences on our South African roads.
Waze is a community based navigational aid for which the accuracy is dependent on the the editors (any member can be become one).
We could ask the senior editors to incorporate a mechanism by which suspect areas are indicated.
Again sorry to hear about your ordeals.
Electrozulu
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by elphix
Hi Natalie,

Firstly, sorry to hear about your difficult experiences. As a fellow South African I've not experienced anything close to what describe.

It sounds to me like you've set the app to Avoid Freeways and possible toll roads too. I cannot reproduce any routing between Randburg and Kimberly that doesn't use a freeway. I'm assuming this change in setting was done unintentionally - regardless the app is programmed to follow requests like this from the user. Furthermore, Waze offers the ability avoid being routed onto dirt roads altogether.

In response to your two points:
Why the fuck would your app send her on such an obscure route?
As detailed above it sounds like the app has been set to avoid freeways.
your app is the reason that both my wife and I were held at GUN POINT yesterday
Waze may be the reason you were in Alex but it certainly isn't the reason you were held at gun point. I've personally worked in the township and can attest that if you have your wits about you instances like these can be avoided. Alex was set to be a route that is automatically avoided within Waze. This was done over a year ago and is still implemented to this day. Being from Johannesburg I'd assume you are aware of the possibilities of danger in and around our informal settlements - perhaps reviewing your route before setting off could avoid them altogether.
Other apps avoid known danger zones and hijacking zones
Please point me in the direction of these apps as I'm unaware of them. I'd be interested to see how they handle routing through our informal settlements.
Your app on the other hand seems to go out of its way to take you onto the most obscure routes and ends up in the worst crime areas of the country.
Again, it the route settings would have done this.
this is NOT the only two incidents we have had
Waze has a community driven map, we can only attend to and fix issues we are aware of. Please provide details of the aforementioned incidents so we can help others avoid the same issues. Things like road names, starting and end points as well as time of day would be of great help.
This is South-fucking-Africa people.
It sure is - it's also one of the most beautiful countires in the world with a vibrant and friendly people. As a fellow South African I hope that you realise this.

If you have any specific issues you'd like addressed (be it in terms of routing or other) feel free to post them to the forum where our South African Community of volunteers will do their best to address them.

Again - sorry to hear about your avoidable ordeal.

Kyle
(Volunteer South African community leader)
elphix
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by felohidalgo
Waze maps are build by the community, easiest way to fix it is to become on board as a map editor an change those roads. To be honest your story sounds like a movie but everything is possible.
But my advice, get on board fix the map, then in a week or 2 all those problems will be gone.
felohidalgo
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Felipe Hidalgo
Coordinador Costa Rica

WIKI COSTA RICA
EDITOR DE MAPAS
PUBLICIDAD EN WAZE

Post by KarinBarnard01
Its utter rubbish that Waze Is set to avoid Alex
. We literally just drove from Jhb to Dbn, the M1 was closed so we used Waze to take us from Sandton via detour to get to the N3.

Our waze is always by default never set to avoid tolls or freeways as we primarily travel.on freeways.   Waze routed us to Alex and thankfully my husband sort of knows the Jhb area to know it is not safe.  We rerouted off that route in the hopes Waze would suggest an alternative but it persisted.  We are from Cape Town so we know those suburbs and route to always detour if Waze suggests dangerous or high risks areas.  Something is definitely not right with Waze. 

KarinBarnard01
Send a message

Post by Neuk
I am sorry to hear about your incidents Natalie and I hope that you and your loved ones are in a better place.

It is strange that I read this today, I have been a long time Waze user and while I do try stick to the Waze suggested route, there are times when I simply won't. Last night for instance, coming back from action cricket in Sebenza I was routed on London Rd through Alexandria on my way to Parkwood. I know better than to drive through Alexandria, especially late at night so I took the N1N, got off at Marlboro and jumped across to the M1S from there. I have always treated Waze routing as a suggestion and adjusted accordingly to what I know about where I am going, I have also always checked what settings I have in the app, to avoid things like dirt roads as I simply cannot travel on them.

Be safe out there everyone!

Cheers
Nic
Neuk
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by OupaDerek
Hi Natalie,
I'm sorry to hear about your harrowing experience and can only imagine how bad the situation was.

I'm changed to Waze about 18 months ago after landing up in dangerous places on a few occasions while using another GPS navigator and was advised by my son to change to Waze where I can do something about it. I still have an incident now and again but minimise these with the settings, for example mine is set to avoid dirt roads. I also select the alternative routes option and review these before setting off. I also over ride the instructions if I feel uncomfortable with the route.

Kind regards
Derek
OupaDerek
Send a message

Post by z7ac
Sorry to hear about what happened.

I have personally been routed through obscure locations as well, sometimes I do follow Waze and other times I do not.

On a different note, I've had two experiences where I chose NOT to use Waze as the routes suggested was much longer in distance and time that another app, so I followed the other app.

The first time I ended up on a 40km long 4x4 dirt route in the mountains that is as wide as my car with steep mountain up on one side and very steep mountain down on the other with no barriers and rain making the road super slippery and keeping me to a max of 20km/h. It was a scary drive and to add to the fear factor, most of the route had zero cellphone reception so had something happen, I would not have been able to call for help.

The second time, the other opp very soon took us onto a dirt road into an informal settlement where the road turned into a double track path that was obviously not used very much and seemed to go through private farm propeties. We turned around and took an alternative tar road where we ended up on the route that Waze initially suggested, but we had driven an extra 160km to get to that point.

I learned to not distrust Waze in such instances, but in town for traffic navigation, I do sometimes opt to not take the whole route as Waze suggests to to hijacking hotspots and the like.
z7ac
Send a message