Wiki page

Post by mithrandi
I've done some major editing at of the South Africa wiki page at: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/South_Africa

I'd appreciate it if people could take a look and comment as relevant; there are probably still some changes / improvements to be made, but hopefully the page is not as misleading as it used to be. The road type information is still a bit of a mess, I need to make another pass to consolidate this information in a more coherent fashion.
mithrandi

POSTER_ID:362912

Send a message
Tristan Seligmann
AM: Johannesburg, South Africa
Community expert: South Africa (client / Android / editing / routing)
Android 4.1 / HTC One X

Post by Discus
mithrandi wrote:Now, if only we could come up with a way to get new editors to read the wiki and forums............ :?
It would be nice if there were an electronic test-bed town in the middle of the Karoo that doesn't really exist that gets re-set after you "pass" the e-learning exam by correctly editing the entire place!
I can't see why (other than the coding effort) Waze couldn't set up learning.waze.com with a per-country testbed and "e-learning" system based on that country's editing standards. It would be in their interest to have editors properly trained. And I doubt most people would really mind an hour or two e-learning exercise. I'm sure we all started off editing things, realising we'd cocked something up in a huge way and then spent even longer fixing it...

I imagine it could be tied into the editing "levels" system.
Discus
Send a message
Grahamstown Area Manager

Post by Kuhlkatz
I did a major overhaul a week or two ago, just before you got stuck in as well. I asked RodNav & Chriseleven to look it over. I just posted a PM to Glipsie a few minutes ago as well to have a look at it, seeing that he set it up initially & seems active again, but it looks like you beat me to the advert.
The idea was to get some consensus before publicly 'promoting' it again.

We are still missing some stuff on the standards wrt naming. Everyone seems to name ramps and even Freeways / Highways and route transitions differently at the moment. I'd suggest we put this up for open voting in the forums & then 'fix' to whatever was decided on.
This should include 'Landmarks' types to map & not map.
Road typing is also not that straightforward with our classification system. Typing is open to suggestion, as it affects short & long-distance routing differently.
wrt to typing, the Aussies goes as far as stating what road types must be used for 'Filling Station' forecourts.

The snag with the convention of major 'Nx' routes being fixed as Freeways is not that simple. If a client is set to avoid highways, locals will never be routed on the major routes in their towns.
At some point the setting affected 'Freeways' and 'Major Highways', but currently seems to apply only to 'Freeways'. The Majors & Minors are often pretty clear though.

The list of road name suffixes is also a bit short compared to what is out there. I've been working on a list that we can verify what we have locally and what we should use in naming to comply with TTS.

[EDIT] : We need to get more of the editors & AMs active in the forums ;)
Anyone against me starting a list of actives and their locations ?

Cheers

Carel
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by mithrandi
Oh, good point, re: highway types. I think the resolution there is to bump National routes down to "Major Highway", and leave Freeways exclusively for actual freeways. The map won't look quite as good, but I guess that can't be helped.

Regarding entrance / exit ramp naming, I have some ideas on that (which I've been applying to ramps I edit) based on the naming in use in the US / UK; I'll try to write those up as soon as I can. The basic idea is to name exit ramps like "Exit 123: R123 Foo Street" where the destination info is taken from what is actually on the signs / gantries. Entrance ramps would be named like "to N1 (N)", but in most cases the ramp can just be left unnamed to get the same effect, so setting the name would only be required in more complex situations. I'll also try to include some pointers to the existing wiki pages regarding connecting segments / wayfinder segments.
Kuhlkatz wrote: The list of road name suffixes is also a bit short compared to what is out there. I've been working on a list that we can verify what we have locally and what we should use in naming to comply with TTS.
I left the existing list there as it has Afrikaans suffixes in it, which may be useful to some people, but otherwise I don't think there's any need to maintain our own list of suffixes given that we get the same TTS voices as the UK does, so we get the same abbreviation expansions as they do.
Kuhlkatz wrote: Anyone against me starting a list of actives and their locations ?
Fine by me.

Now, if only we could come up with a way to get new editors to read the wiki and forums............ :?
mithrandi
Send a message
Tristan Seligmann
Android 4.1 / HTC One X

Post by mithrandi
Okay, I made a separate post about road types in the Standards forum. Post is here for any of you not watching that forum:

http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=32646

I'm also hoping to post my proposal regarding ramp names soon, so keep an eye out on the Standards for that (and possibly other new proposals) if you're interested.
mithrandi
Send a message
Tristan Seligmann
Android 4.1 / HTC One X