Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Coastline

Post by Chriseleven
Whats with the adding of the sea around the SA coast? I thought this was routing software.
Chriseleven

POSTER_ID:6301053

Send a message

Post by Chriseleven
mmmm

I am interested in the development here. I was very involved in Openstreetmap in SA. Did 10's of thousands of km of roads. Started off as a basic map (no spltting, etc, etc) but slowly developed and is now probably the most comprehensive map available in some areas where there are people editing.

Is Waze going to go the same route? Start looking more and more like the real world as the routing algorithms get improved to cater for they way things are in real life?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Chriseleven
Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
I'm not sure that it is (read should be) required to add all of it, but some places might be indicated as being under water, in which case it might be good to report it as mentioned in this thread : http://world.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=32138.

If you zoom all the way out on the Client, ZA does not seem to have any visible coastline, or at least that much of a visible coastline.
Waze does have a 'default' water layer, but I cannot vouch for the accuracy near the coast. It also seems that current water landmarks like rivers etc. that was manually added may not actually appear, as mentioned in other general threads, where it seems to bother the locals. If I remember correctly that disappeared or changed drastically about 4 months ago.

I mapped a smallish area around Durban as a test based on Discus' Water Bodies post. I certainly have lots of other stuff to do without ensuring that the surfer dudes have a proper visible coastline, or ensuring people in Gauteng can spot Hartebeespoort or Roodeplaat Dam from miles away.

I'm also not convinced that a visible coastline would prevent people from driving off of piers just because a SatNav app told them to drive there. I'm of the opinion they'll do that irrespectively.
I'm trusting that local signage would suffice, but maybe some do need some visual cues on a screen to see where dry land ends and the ocean starts.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by Kuhlkatz
zs2cli wrote:I've done a bit around East London. True it's not completely necessary but it does make the coast line look better/more accurate on the app
There's always that bit of OCD in every one of us ;)
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by RodNav
Kuhlkatz wrote:
zs2cli wrote:I've done a bit around East London. True it's not completely necessary but it does make the coast line look better/more accurate on the app
There's always that bit of OCD in every one of us ;)
That's why we edit maps...
:mrgreen:
RodNav
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Country Manager for South Africa.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G

Post by zs2cli
I've done a bit around East London. True it's not completely necessary but it does make the coast line look better/more accurate on the app.

In theory if the entire globe's coast line was done it would make a great source data for Waze to make a proper ocean layer.
zs2cli
Send a message
Area manager: Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hardware: Samsung Galaxy S II : Android 4.0.3
Car: Volkswagen Polo
Waze Beta Tester