South African Wazers

Post by mithrandi
Hey guys (and gals?) :)

Just thought I'd start a thread to try get an idea of how many of us there actually are; please chime in if you're wazing it up. Mentioning what area you're active in would also be nice, I guess.

I'm in JHB, for what it's worth.
mithrandi

POSTER_ID:362912

Send a message
Tristan Seligmann
AM: Johannesburg, South Africa
Community expert: South Africa (client / Android / editing / routing)
Android 4.1 / HTC One X

Post by Adventurer
Hi Guys,

I'm an Area Manager in Midrand north, and now moving South and West into Midrand Central and Kyalami.

Craig
Adventurer
Send a message

Post by aneekah
hi - i'm in cape town... i thought this was a really cool app so i downloaded it to my phone. have had lots of fun driving around and seeing my routes mapped on my phone. however i find the website crap and have been struggling to edit the roads - either i don't have permission, or some road geometry error keeps popping up that i can't seem to fix. it takes forever to load the maps and is not very user friendly. i have just spent over an hour following the instructions on the wiki and not getting anywhere... sorry but this is not fun.
aneekah
Send a message

Post by c4talyst
I waze Cape Town. Doing it for the cupcakes. Om nom nom.

<2c> I think the difficult part is that people install the app, see that the road their house is in doesn't exist and promptly delete it. We need to encourage friends and colleagues to use it and tell them how this is going to improve every users commute :) </2c>
c4talyst
Send a message

Post by c4talyst
I agree.

I have spent a good many hours updating the map. It's great feeling to drive along a road that you've mapped yourself, and also see the routing work over it. OSM is a fantastic reference for map updates, it is by far the most up-to-date reference.

The "power" users, I guess, could be area managers. However, I think more collaboration is required between these "power" users... I almost wish area managers could drop cupcakes in areas which have no roads to encourage users to drive around there. But obviously, we can't.

So, how can we get the collaboration going?
c4talyst
Send a message

Post by Genosha
Hey All

Just thought I would let you know I am Wazing the Woodmead / Rivonia area. I can see someone has done a good job of East Sandton, but stopped around West Sandton. Look forward to getting onto that area soon :)

Enjoying it!
Cheers
Genosha
Send a message

Post by Hydrofire
Hi

I've been wazing for about two months now, and just hit 10000 points. I've done some mapping work on the Joburg CBD and Centurion. I'm getting a bit frustrated with not being able to make some edits due to lack of permissions, despite having driven in an area daily for the past two months. The areas have managers, but they don't seem to be active.

I'd really like to fix up the GP freeways and interchanges, because currently there are some gaps in the roads which prevents Waze from finding a route.
Hydrofire
Send a message

Post by madmax3
Hi guys, wow three of us... amazing to think how many people will be using Waze in Cape Town in a year! What's great is it is cross platform (mobile OS's) and free so I think it will get a lot of users, yes it is a bit basic at the moment but as you all say more hardcore users dedicated to the cause and it has the potential to be awesome. I mean it learns your routes and then if another user reports a road block within seconds it will choose another of your popular "rat runs" to get you home... how cool is that! I live in the plattekloof area but drive all over the place with my work so hope to crank up some roads/points/cakes over the coming weeks/months years. So lets get on with it!
madmax3
Send a message

Post by mithrandi
Realistically, we need a core group of "power" users to take care of fleshing out the map, and maintaining it. Once that's in place, it should be usable enough for "normal" users (at least in the areas with coverage) to just use it, which will help as far as collecting speed data and traffic reports go. It'll also provide a less challenging "onramp" for the normal users that are more interested in getting involved with map maintenance / contributions.

Incidentally, OSM has pretty good coverage of South Africa in many areas, and is a very useful reference when fixing up map data; much better than the outdated aerial imagery underlay, in many cases.
mithrandi
Send a message
Tristan Seligmann
Android 4.1 / HTC One X

Post by mithrandi
I've been trying to get through the backlog of update requests / etc. in my area; but if you're planning to be active, I'd suggest just mailing alpha@waze.com with a super permalink of the area you'd like to manage, and ask them to make you an area manager. They seem quite willing to give people area manager status if they ask for it, at least in South Africa.

So far, I've been focusing on fixing up the Bryanston / Sandton areas, but it's slow going; haven't gotten to the ring road highways yet, but I'll probably look at those sometime. It definitely wouldn't hurt to have more people working on this stuff, though.
mithrandi
Send a message
Tristan Seligmann
Android 4.1 / HTC One X