New features in WME Map editor

Post by Kuhlkatz
SA Editors, a new version of the WME Editor was released today that brings some new exciting features : Conversations and Time Based Restrictions.
Please view the original announcement and ensure you familiarize yourself with the functionality in the wiki.
Wiki page for Conversations
Wiki page for Scheduled Restrictions.

Regards
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

POSTER_ID:9040325

Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by elphix
minoglie wrote:Maybe I am overreacting but i thought it was a dick move. :x
This made me chuckle :mrgreen:
Kuhlkatz wrote:I added a UR there from Livemap as well, and it looks like Livemap correctly associates the UR with my logged-in Waze account. Previously you had to supply some extra info, so this is actually cool.
In this case, I'm also seen as the 'Reporter' when I comment.
I've found that before we had the whole conversation feature if I reported something, then came back to solve it myself Waze would still email me saying something along the lines of "elphix, a Wazer like you solved a problem you reported!". Thankfully this functionality seems to have gone, perhaps we can suggest a similar function to the conversations that says "problem closed by reporter" . Naturally this would only be sent to those that are following the conversation. Thoughts?
LeighGr wrote:Irresponsible editors is probably more appropiate, though I'd like to call them something far worse.
So far we have kgatit reported by myself, rietrot reported by xcentricdave, and you can add yours to the list. I'm hoping that it's only a handful of editors doing this, so we can to ask them to play nicely.
I tend to agree with Leigh here about asking nicely but I don't feel we should be pointing fingers just yet - at least not without some explanation. It was another editor that did that to me that brought me to the community in the first place. :)
elphix
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by FTP13
Hi, I just had a conversation on a "General Error" UR and the user responded that the reason for the UR was that the Waze map just "went blank"... Can anyone tell me what is the best way to respond to an error like that, as it was probably caused by the users hardware or the client, and not a map problem? Unfortunately someone "solved" the UR and closed it, so I cannot post the permalink where the conversation was.
FTP13
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
LeighGr wrote:I'm going to try PM this editor to ask them to play nicely, and to read the wiki article, though I don't know if that will make any difference, as they don't seem to visit the forums.

And to top it all, I just got a notification within the App to tell me that the map problem that I reported has been fixed! Oops. This could get very interesting. I was only following the conversation. I wonder what message the reporter got? :?
PM would be the best option. If there is no response in a few days, we can probably ask support to assist in getting an email to them if this continues.
If you subscribe to a conversation you should normally get an in-app notification and an email on any status changes or new responses.
Unfortunately the user would get the normal closed notification with either fixed or not identified as well, so it might be a good idea to actually start the conversation using a canned response indicating where the user can get hold of you in the forums IF the conversation gets closed prematurely by another editor. You can also use an e-mail alias to keep your anonimity for this via gmail or your normal isp if they support aliases as many people are naturally shy of forums.
You however should get a mail with a subject [A map issue you are following was resolved as 'fixed' / 'not identified'].

@RodNav - Happy to assist with some tests any time, just shout.

Cheers

Carel
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius

Post by Kuhlkatz
xcentricdave wrote:I can't now see the problem or it's commentary, perhaps the fixer made a comment that I can't see?

Let me know what I can do.
Dave,

The last comment should be available in-app in your inbox - assuming you subscribed to it. Please note that if there are multiple comments, the full series can be expanded by tapping on the grey
[ ... ] bar at the bottom of the visible comment.

Cheers

Carel
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius

Post by Kuhlkatz
LeighGr wrote:Yesterday I took a drive down the new Sandown Rd extension that opened last week, and created missing road URs at several of the new but incomplete junctions.
Leigh,

I added a UR there from Livemap as well, and it looks like Livemap correctly associates the UR with my logged-in Waze account. Previously you had to supply some extra info, so this is actually cool.
In this case, I'm also seen as the 'Reporter' when I comment.
This is most likely due to privacy concerns - at least we know that editors will not be able to identify & try and hunt down OR send some not-so-nice PMs to that "friggin' ID10T user" that keeps posting all those 'General Error' UR's with no descriptions in their area ;)

Cheers

Carel
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius

Post by Kuhlkatz
FTP13 wrote:Can anyone tell me what is the best way to respond to an error like that, as it was probably caused by the users hardware or the client, and not a map problem?
Herein lies the problem. Editors generally know what a map problem or user reported map problem should relate to, but the average user wants to use URs as feedback about the app. There are just too many variables that could lead to any client problem like lagging display, missing tiles, GPS jumping to spots where you are not. Some might be backbone infrastructure, some app related, but most are likely network, flaky GPS or even just device related.
e.g. A full network signal may look good, but it does not tell me that an over-eager techie at my ISP/Data provider just choked their DNS service or tripped over his shoelaces and flipped some important big red switch by mistake.

The best is to explain that it is not a map related problem and that they should preferably give app feedback via the forum threads for the current version for their OS, ie Android / iOS. One would 'assume' that the email address listed in the app stores should be valid and monitored for feedback, but I understand it might not be in this case, so would not advise that route.

As editors there is nothing we can do, but some forum feedback to the devs might highlight specific patterns or even get them a workaround to some problems.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius

Post by LeighGr
Hi Carel

At last!! I suppose it's going to take a while before we get all the regular editors on the same page, as I just had a UR on which I had started a conversation on Monday so as to figure out what this Wazer thought was wrong, only to have it closed as unidentified by another editor.

I'm going to try PM this editor to ask them to play nicely, and to read the wiki article, though I don't know if that will make any difference, as they don't seem to visit the forums.

And to top it all, I just got a notification within the App to tell me that the map problem that I reported has been fixed! Oops. This could get very interesting. I was only following the conversation. I wonder what message the reporter got? :?

Leigh.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling
Redmi 8, Android 10.0.0, Waze: Whatever the latest beta is!
LC: South Africa
CM: Southern Africa

Post by LeighGr
xcentricdave wrote:
... the original problem reporter came back with a comment that enabled the fix,..
As I understand how things work, as a follower of the conversation, you should have received a copy of the comment if the reporter had replied.

I know it was suggested that a similar rank system be used, to prevent a lower level editor resolving a UR where a higher level editor was busy with a conversation with the reporter. Doesn't look as if that was implemented, though if this becomes a big issue, it may well do.

Leigh.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling

Post by LeighGr
I don't think waze likes me talking to myself!

Yesterday I took a drive down the new Sandown Rd extension that opened last week, and created missing road URs at several of the new but incomplete junctions. If I now add a comment to the UR, it indicates that "Reporter" added the comment, yet if I place my mouse over the UR icon on the map, the balloon shows "2 comments (none by me)" :)

I'll wait for my updates to go through, and drive down there again on Monday or Tuesday, as the road is not where the the original editor placed it, so I moved to closer to my user track. I also need to get the names of some of the unnamed roads off Parkland Main Rd.

Leigh.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling