Level5→L3 Unlock: New York - Greater Ithaca Area (SR-34)  Topic is solved

1. Include the city and state in the "Subject:" line of your post
2. Include a Permalink to the segment(s) you wish to unlock or have updated
3. Provide a short explanation of why you need the unlock or update done.
4. Thank the user who solved the request and mark the thread Solved.

Please note that a higher level editor may choose to fix an unlock request themselves so higher value segments will remain protected at their level.

Moderators: delilush, SkiDooGuy

Forum rules
1. Include the city and FULL state name in the "Subject:" line of your post
2. Include a Permalink to the segment(s) you wish to unlock or have updated
3. Provide a short explanation of why you need the unlock or update done.
4. When completed, THANK the user who solved the request and mark the thread SOLVED.

Re: Level5→L3 Unlock: New York - Greater Ithaca Area (SR-34)

Postby qwaletee » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:13 am

Can you explain what is wrong with the instructions right now, and how you intend to fix that?
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby qwaletee » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:14 pm

Agreed that 34 should be locked to 3 as a matter of course.

Please read up on wayfinders ("WF") before you hit this. The situation you are talking about matches one of the reason to use a wayfinder. We have very specific instructions on how to set one up, though they are a bit confusing. The reason we are very specific is because it is easy to just do it wrong and end up with either unexpected instructions, no instructions, or ood instructions but bad routing.

Also, the addition of Parker Ln complicates things, because Waze does not do triple choices well. I would suggest making it a right turn instead of a keep right, and do it at the end of the wayfinder instead of making all three roads meet. Getting it to work right may require a custom version of the WF instead of the standard described in the wiki, but lets try the standard way first.

ALso, when creating your WF segments, please try to cut existing segments in two without making disconnections, rather than disconnecting and adding new roads. It will help Waze retain historical speed data about the segments.

Note that technically, there is an exit ambiguity here. 13 continuation gives the appearance of an exit but is labelled interchange styles, not as an exit. The appearance is there because it is on the right (like most exits), and curves away, whereas the left side continues "straight ahead" for a short distance before curving. This also may call for a custom WF approach.

Anyway, have a look at WF and let me know your thoughts on how to configure it. I will lower everything in the mean time.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Re: Level5→L3 Unlock: New York - Greater Ithaca Area (SR-34)  Topic is solved

Postby qwaletee » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:48 pm

Good. Now wait for a tile update, and test it a bunch. Don't forget to test for destinations on both Park Lane and 13S.

If you have a possibility of driving it, that's also great -- especially to test timing for the Park Lane instruction.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby qwaletee » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:58 pm

OK, relocked. I simplified and adjusted angles for Park so it gets a turn instead of a keep there.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Level5→L3 Unlock: New York - Greater Ithaca Area (SR-34)

Postby zikzak » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:31 pm

My Level: 3
Reason for request: To adjust NY13/NY34 intersection so that appropriate TTS instructions are given.

zikzak

Postby zikzak » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:41 am

There's a pending update request stating that there is no "keep right" or "exit right" for the exit from NY-13 to NY-34. I've driven that stretch many times and they are correct: you've been driving on major highway NY-13 for a long time before getting to that intersection when you see this:
[ img ].
The road reaches a Y intersection and you must exit to continue on 13. There is no clear meaning to "continue straight ahead", and there should be a turn/exit instruction for whichever way the navigation needs to go. But as long as the segment continuing NY-13 is the same name / type, there will never be a needed instruction.

There are several possibilities here, but I suggest this is one place where no-name ramps from the intersection are appropriate. The junction is signed as an interchange.

At any rate, minor highways like NY-34 in NYS should be locked at L3 not L5 anyway ;)
zikzak

Postby zikzak » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:58 am

Cool, I've looked at the wayfinder wiki. What looks most appropriate would be stub segments of the Major Highway type, left named "NY-34 S / NY 96 S / Spencer", right named "NY-13 S / Elmira" so that the instruction will be "Keep Right / Keep Left." The junction for Park Lane can be moved a little farther down the NY-13 side so that there aren't three diverging roads there; it actually does diverge off slightly after the main interchange. Sound good?
zikzak

Postby zikzak » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:05 pm

Sounds like a plan. it's actually not far from where I live so after testing online driving it will be easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zikzak

Postby zikzak » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:50 pm

I drove the route today and adjusted the map slightly for timings, but everything seems to be working well there now. Thanks for the help!
zikzak

Return to US Unlock and Update Requests