Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
1. Include the city and state in the "Subject:" line of your post
2. Include a Permalink to the segment(s) you wish to unlock or have updated
3. Provide a short explanation of why you need the unlock or update done.
4. Thank the user who solved the request and mark the thread Solved.

Please note that a higher level editor may choose to fix an unlock request themselves so higher value segments will remain protected at their level.

Forum rules
1. Include the city and FULL state name in the "Subject:" line of your post
2. Include a Permalink to the segment(s) you wish to unlock or have updated
3. Provide a short explanation of why you need the unlock or update done.
4. When completed, THANK the user who solved the request and mark the thread SOLVED.

Level 3 Update: California - Stanford

Post by papersun
Hello,

Stanford University is closing a frequently-used section of road starting next week. On July 23, Serra Street will be permanently closed between Galvez and Campus Drive.

Bicycles and pedestrians will still be allowed to travel the street, but only service vehicles will be able to access it once it is closed to the public.

To facilitate delivery vehicles going to the library, et. al., Arguello Way has been reconnected to Escondido Road.

The Waze link is here.
Stanford's Parking and Transportation news article is here.
And a map of the change is here.

If someone with the appropriate level of access could update this, I'm sure it will save a lot of people from headaches.

Also, please note that the construction work on installing a traffic circle at the intersection of Serra and Campus is still ongoing.

Thank you in advance!
papersun

POSTER_ID:16986587

Send a message

Post by dfortney
I made further adjustments here, including connecting Arguello Way and Escondido Rd per the original post, getting rid of the last few decommissioned Serra St segments.

Papersun, it would be terrific to get your feedback on whether things are in order here and we can mark this as answered.
dfortney
Send a message

Post by papersun
Thank you! Should I mark this as answered or would it be better to wait until the permanent fix is made?
papersun
Send a message

Post by papersun
Hello again. I took a look back at it today. The new roundabout at the intersection of Campus and Serra has been added, which is great! However, in the process, it looks like Serra has once again been marked as connecting from Galvez to Campus. This is not the case. It is now permanently closed to public traffic. They have constructed or are in the process of constructing turnarounds on Serra, Galvez, and Arguello Way. With school starting up again, having the street marked as available is bound to lead to confusion. Thanks in advance!
papersun
Send a message

Post by papersun
That's odd about the GPS. It's been closed since July 23. Bicycles and pedestrians can still travel the road. But as far as traffic, the only vehicles allowed are Stanford vehicles and construction vehicles. However, it looks like someone's updating it now.
papersun
Send a message

Post by papersun
Thanks, dfortney! It looks like everything which should be disconnected has been and everything which should be connected now is. Now no Waze user will be trying to drive through any barricades.

Do the orphaned segments now count as walking trails? I see some inconsistency when it comes to categorizing access roads on campus. Other than that, I think we're good.
papersun
Send a message

Post by tonestertm
Thanks for the heads-up! I've set up a closure to begin on the 23rd, after which we'll go back and make a more permanent change to the map to accommodate the real-world situation.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by turbomkt
How recently was Serra closed to traffic? There is still GPS data along its length.
turbomkt
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 17
Send a message
--Mike
RC for Northwest Region (NWR Discord)
ARC for Southwest Region (SWR Discord)

Post by turbomkt
I've already made a number of updates. But I can't get rid of everything yet without killing the closures. Hopefully we get a map update soon.
turbomkt
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 17
Send a message
--Mike
RC for Northwest Region (NWR Discord)
ARC for Southwest Region (SWR Discord)