Anyone out there?

Post by Lequs
Not a single post in the South Dakota forum! I know there are a few other users out there...unless they are all people traveling through only!

I was hoping to see basically that, who else is attempting to use Waze in South Dakota.
Also, thoughts on if the functions of Waze are compatible with such a sparsely populated area?

I like using it on trips to big cities, would be nice if it worked better out here!

Lequs
Lequs

POSTER_ID:16851795

Send a message

Post by bretmcvey
I'm based in Nebraska, but will use Waze whenever I go through SD. I also edit there as often as I can.

There aren't many editors in SD but there are some, I contribute updates and assist with issue cleanup. I'm aware of editor sdtahoe on the eastern side of the state contributing a lot. Sometimes editor retention is somewhat short with casual users popping on and adding in a landmark.

How useful though? Extremely, when roads are edited and functioning properly. This past spring I focused on numerous issues involving bad turn restrictions, newly constructed two-lane highways, connecting state highway segments that were never snapped together from the original base map, etc.

There's lots of people especially in the spring and summer using Waze to route to their favorite SD camping site or attraction. But like anywhere, the experience may vary based on how much TLC editors have provided. If your instructed to take a route that adds on an hour or more, you may not be so apt to use it. But as the road issues are resolved, it's an immensely helpful app, especially given the speed at which you can deploy major road changes.

Daily urban usage will only happen in much larger metro communities for people looking to contribute traffic data and potentially avoid traffic jams. In Omaha, NE we max out at nearly 100 during rush hour. It's not bad, but relative to the population it's not huge.

Fix the maps and spread the word, but it isn't a total ghost town up there!
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by bretmcvey
I forgot to ask if there were some trouble spots you noticed or issues you've had. If you would, tis the season for the airing of grievances. Just chime in and I or other editors would gladly offer advice or assistance to resolve things!
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bretmcvey
As Lance (SDTahoe) indicated Area Manager is your best bet to open things up. Use https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Area_Manager for more information about that. It's what I did starting out to edit areas outside my normal commute. Editors are sparse especially in the Dakotas... although the same could be said about a lot of other places as well.

Fixing people's user reports helps greatly and cleaning up roads in cities. I use methods like removing excess nodes, checking turn restrictions, updating road types as well. It's time consuming and I don't know if it will ever really pay off in the long run, but I use the service regularly and at least in the Omaha, NE area it's worked great navigating from spot to spot (much more reliably than the Google Maps app).
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Lequs
Not gonna lie...I haven't responded to this in a long time because I partially lost interest due to my lack of ability to travel and thus to edit much.

Thank you for the reply bret, I really appreciate the input as well as knowing there are some people of the hardcore waze enthusist stripe who travel in western SD sometimes!

SDtahoe....yea, I did notice you when I used to worry more about rank and such...you always beat me! Now I just do it because I love mapping!

If you guys read this maybe you can help me out. I'm only rank 2 I believe...my problem is I'd love to be able to edit basically my whole county, maybe more...but not sure if its worth the effort to become an Area Manager.
I'm not terribly social even on forums online, I rarely add my 2cents because other already said what I would so I seem antisocial :-/
Basically I want to be able to edit more area.

I work for the county directly interacting with current maps (dispatcher in Lawrence county if ya are wondering) so always have the most up to date information on roads in the whole county.

Anyway, thats me right now.
Thank you guys for replying!
Lequs
Send a message

Post by Sdtahoe
I am based out of Brookings SD. I have been using Waze for about 2 years now and have been focusing on editing eastern SD. Lately I have expanded to central SD also. I have been primarily focusing on fixing major roads, there are many areas with incorrect travel directions and turn restrictions that need attention.

Let us know what problem areas that you are seeing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sdtahoe
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Sdtahoe
I take some time off from editing from time to time, like now work is busy so editing goes on the back butter and add up points from my commute.

To get yo country wide status you need to get to 500,000 edits, I still have a ways to go myself. However by becoming an area manager you will be able to edit within that area. I am an area manager for central and eastern South Dakota. There are still lots of opportunities in the western part of the state to fix highways and other roads too.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me or any other wazer.

Lance (sdtahoe)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sdtahoe
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message