Alleyways in SD/Plains

Post by Lequs
I was reading this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=91386

Is there any set rules on alleyways in South Dakota or the Plains region in general?

Thanks,
Lequs
Lequs

POSTER_ID:16851795

Send a message

Post by bretmcvey
I forgot to reply to this earlier. I map them in. There's a lot of towns where access to a home means using an alley. I wouldn't hesitate to add them in. Just ensure you set or update them to use the parking lot type for the alley and set the name (unless they have a specific name) to "Alley".

Some times issues can arise for users depending on where their destination's marker is set. Those can be resolved by keeping the alley, but adjusting an address marker (house number).

Let me know if you had any other questions regarding that.
bretmcvey  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by bretmcvey
It all relates to where the marker pins are at. I'd keep the alleys, but would tweak the marker pins. There's already threads related to the Places (Area) and Places (Point) features in regards to where they should be located. The wiki I believe has some pretty good guidance on that as well.

Ultimately Waze attempts to get you to a destination using largely the highest priority type roads and then down to the lowest level road type that would take you closer to a marker pin.

NOTE, most times you search for something the marker pin is based on Google Maps data (which I attempt to correct), but lately approval rates and turnaround times for the Google Map Maker service have been pretty appalling.

Some people don't necessarily have good people skills, so unfortunate that you didn't have an overwhelming experience using the chat feature.

Overall, my take is leave the alleys, they serve a purpose and if routing is poor to a location, you could at the very least add in a Places (Point) for example a user (or yourself) could search or when the tiles update (just make certain to check what the data provider is).
bretmcvey  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by Lequs
To be honest I added a few alleyways in the local area. Using the app to go to a store that was new to me it tried to make me get access via the alleyway instead of the main entrance on the named street. When I asked in the edit map chat thing someone said it was because the address numbers were closer to the alley than the road. I made the offhand remark something like "dang thats gonna be a lot of work"... to which someone with I think tx in their name, higher rank... said "you want me to make it a lot more difficult for you to work on the map?" ... I thought joking but also sounded threatening. Odd.
At this point I'm just considering deleting all the alleyways I put in as 99 percent of the time around here alleyway is secondary access even though it gets lots of traffic.
That is all, frustrated a bit. I would welcome thoughts.
Lequs
Send a message