Wannabe waze editor

Post by starkreiten
Howdy,

So, I've recently 'discovered' Waze, like what I see, and am wanting to contribute.

I've chewed through a bunch of the wiki and forums and am slowly starting to get a Waze feel. A bit of prior openstreetmap.org editing gave me a leg up on the actual editor operation.

Some clarification on a couple things would be appreciated:

1) Is this forum actually monitored/active, or is there someplace else where the 'enablers' hang out to help us lowly level editors?

2) Assuming everybody just happens to be a the lake this weekend -- is this the place to put unlock requests for Kansas? Or, do they all go into the US unlock forum as the wiki says? Or, is the editor chat the way? PMs? Secret chat rooms? Everywhere seems to encourage local communication, so I'm trying.

As for actual future production: I've secured the Dickinson County, Ks maps for FC, GIS and road maintenance. Just a quick look at the FC shows problems -- like minor collectors that haven't had a functional bridge way longer than the four years I've been in the area. The GIS looks better.

Like I said, new guy wanting to know how to get things done around here so that I can get things done around here!

-Dana
Chapman, KS

P.S. I apologize in advance for any aggravation caused by my less than stellar edits -- the wiki said to just jump in!
starkreiten
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:17098986

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
Starkreiten wrote:I've chewed through a bunch of the wiki and forums and am slowly starting to get a Waze feel. A bit of prior openstreetmap.org editing gave me a leg up on the actual editor operation.
Good start. Now keep reading, there's a lot of info about how we do things & why we do it the way we do in there. We do a lot of things differently than Google (and probably Open Streets), so it's better to check our documentation than to go with what you've done for other services. If you can't find it, ask.
Starkreiten wrote:1) Is this forum actually monitored/active, or is there someplace else where the 'enablers' hang out to help us lowly level editors?
Yes and no... The staff really doesn't monitor the forums, but most editors are here. This is covered in the Forum Rules
Forum Rules wrote:This forum is lightly monitored by Waze employees and is supported by the Waze community users. When significant issues or bugs arise, these will be made visible to Waze directly by members of the Waze Global Champs.
Starkreiten wrote:2) Assuming everybody just happens to be a the lake this weekend -- is this the place to put unlock requests for Kansas? Or, do they all go into the US unlock forum as the wiki says? Or, is the editor chat the way? PMs? Secret chat rooms? Everywhere seems to encourage local communication, so I'm trying.
They are all supposed to go in the US Unlock and Update Requests, HOWEVER, things requiring discussion should start in the local forum and can then be handled right from there. We routinely move requests with significant discussion out of the Unlock Forum and into the local forums.
Starkreiten wrote:As for actual future production: I've secured the Dickinson County, Ks maps for FC, GIS and road maintenance. Just a quick look at the FC shows problems -- like minor collectors that haven't had a functional bridge way longer than the four years I've been in the area. The GIS looks better.
Just because a bridge is missing, it doesn't change how the road was constructed - and doesn't change the FC of the road. There are plenty of spur collectors out there. Now, the bridge should be either disconnected or closed with an RTC (real time closure) to prevent routing across it.
Starkreiten wrote:P.S. I apologize in advance for any aggravation caused by my less than stellar edits -- the wiki said to just jump in!
Sure.... Blame the wiki... :D
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
Starkreiten wrote:AndyPoms, thanks for the sage advice. Can I use your quote in my sig?
Nope, sorry, but I'm already quoted in someone else's signature line...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by starkreiten
AndyPoms, thanks for the sage advice. Can I use your quote in my sig?

Sure.... Blame the wiki... :D

<muhahah>

I hooked up with the kansas guys, and considering what they have to work with, they have been exceptionally helpful.

Thanks again! See you in the waze.
-Dana
starkreiten
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message