Missing exit - I-70W just East of Topeka  Topic is solved

Moderators: delilush, bretmcvey, ehepner1977, the1who

Re: Missing exit - I-70W just East of Topeka

Postby Bigbear3764 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:37 am

kckfire wrote:I see two possible solutions:
1) Take the first small section of this piece and change it into a ramp road type in order to trigger the navigation voice prompt for that exit even though one is still staying on I-70.

Looks like you need a wayfinder segment, You can make 2 stub ramps each way and name them to get TTS to announce the BGS. Advantage is that a ramp hides the long name. Disadvantage is it looks like freeway isn't connected and someone will notice and drop a UR about it. Can achieve the same by naming each leg of the freeway split. So going from a freeway segment named I-70 W to each other leg of a different name will trigger TTS also. The freeway doesn't hide the long name.

kckfire wrote:2) Modify the angle of departure for the right leg. This angle is 1 degree so no prompt is given while the I-470W angle is 10 degrees encouraging a prompt to keep left. If both the departure angle for I-70W and I-470W were in the 10-45 degree range, In theory I would expect that as one approaches this junction setup they should always get a prompt for 'keep right' or 'keep left'. This solution however would not voice that the right leg was Exit 183.

Thoughts?

Have to review the wayfinder Wiki, it may announce, but one leg is named the same that you were on, Waze may see this as a continue strait and not announce it.

Either way, I think it is needed there for it to announce the BGS.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: Missing exit - I-70W just East of Topeka  Topic is solved

Postby Bigbear3764 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:07 am

I'll work on it in a little bit.

Do you have a preference in your area on if I use ramp segments or freeway segments?

Edit:I used ramps to hide the long name. After the next update, see how it works.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Bigbear3764 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:58 pm

Sorry about that. If no one gets it tonight, I'll try to remember to get it Wednesday.

Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Bigbear3764 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:35 pm

Got it fixed. Spelled it right once. :oops:
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Missing exit - I-70W just East of Topeka

Postby kckfire » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:06 am

I had submitted the UR near here.

Traveling along that stretch of I-70 Westbound, if you take the right leg which is still considered I-70 W, the exit is signed Exit 183 and takes you to the toll booth. Taking the left leg onto I-470 has no assigned exit and allows you to continue toward the South end of Topeka. Unfortunately SV skips out in the area where the overhead exit sign is located and I didn't snap a photo as I was passing through last time but will try to note the exact signage next time I'm up that way.

While the exit number 183 doesn't really fit with the rest of the exits along I-70 since they are in the 360's in that area, it is indeed labeled Exit 183 which is more in line with the numbering one would find on I-35/I-335 in that area (possibly because the I-470 SE of Topeka serves as an extension of I-335)

Navigation for getting off the turnpike there doesn't tell you to take exit 183 (in waze or google nav). Playing in live map, if you were to need to continue onto I-470 instead of exit the turnpike, there are prompts to keep left at the split. The first time I took navigation through there about a year ago with google nav, I drove past the exit because it too didn't say to take that exit.

I see two possible solutions:
1) Take the first small section of this piece and change it into a ramp road type in order to trigger the navigation voice prompt for that exit even though one is still staying on I-70.

2) Modify the angle of departure for the right leg. This angle is 1 degree so no prompt is given while the I-470W angle is 10 degrees encouraging a prompt to keep left. If both the departure angle for I-70W and I-470W were in the 10-45 degree range, In theory I would expect that as one approaches this junction setup they should always get a prompt for 'keep right' or 'keep left'. This solution however would not voice that the right leg was Exit 183.

Thoughts?
kckfire

Postby kckfire » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:36 am

Imagehappened to head that way with the family today. Photo attached for the1who or any L5+ who'd like to make the wayfinder segments.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
kckfire

Postby kckfire » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:57 pm

bigbear3764 wrote:I'll work on it in a little bit.

Do you have a preference in your area on if I use ramp segments or freeway segments?

Edit:I used ramps to hide the long name. After the next update, see how it works.

The routing seems to be working well. Just a small correction - on the exit text, Topeka is misspelled.
kckfire

Postby the1who » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:11 am

In the Grandview Triangle Area, since I drive that area enough, I have experimented with different segments, there is certainly one that works now. I-435 S to I-435 W wayfinder. That by far is the best addition to that area. I can't remember what I used there but I am going to go look now.

Just found it:
to I-435 W

I used a ramp segment of short stub and I didn't notice it while driving it the other day this past week. Again, I was used to that area not saying anything at all before because it was just changing to I-435 W. But this certainly has helped give some better wayfinder through this somewhat keep left scenario.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Return to Kansas