Traffic backups in exit lanes

Moderators: delilush, bretmcvey, ehepner1977, the1who

Re: Traffic backups in exit lanes

Postby kckfire » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:58 am

It may be best to leave it as-is so drivers that might be in one of those outside lanes yet not wanting to exit there are prepared for the backup and have ample time to move into an inside lane to avoid it. The backup notification doesn't directly impact routing calculations, but rather data from the vehicles traveling would be used. The algorithm should be able to determine that traffic on the ramp is at a stand-still while the majority of traffic on the rest of I-35 is still moving fine and adjust routing appropriately to impacted drivers.

If that exit only lane were divided by the use of a solid white line or barricades, then it'd make sense to move the exit junction further South, however this is not the case here.
AM - Kansas City Metro & West through Topeka, KS
Google Nexus 5 - Stock 4.4.2 | Waze 3.7.9.912 Beta
[ img ][ img ]
kckfire

Traffic backups in exit lanes

Postby mcj2a » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:03 pm

Hello,

This isn't an area-specific question, really, but I figured I'd ask people that know the area.

In Olathe, at the I-35N/I-435E junction https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-94.75128&lat=38.93559&zoom=5&layers=901&env=usa during morning rush hour, more often than not, the traffic on I-35N is flowing fine, but the exit lane for I-435E is at a standstill all the way back to 119th. Since the exit lane isn't defined until it actually starts peeling off, you can't really report a backup for that part of the road without affecting the general I-35N traffic, which is generally fine. What would be the best way to handle that situation?

Thanks,

-c
mcj2a

Return to Kansas