Landmark Wiki for MI

Moderators: MapSir, GizmoGuy411, SkiDooGuy, TerryPurdue

Re: Landmark Wiki for MI

Postby sketch » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:29 am

Those are actually two of the points in the national proposed guidelines that I have arguments against--not that I disagree entirely, but I can see it going both ways.

The water layer handles most bodies of water just fine, but they are all unnamed. I think it's nice to have named bodies of water in the landmarks layer.

Churches seem like the type of thing which merit landmarking.

Also, one exception I would make with universities: I would want to see, at least, college football stadiums landmarked separately.

Otherwise, I generally agree with the landmark guidelines proposed for the US. I do think it might look a little better --and navigation might work a little better-- if things like hospitals were mapped at the edge of the building rather than at the parking lot.

With things like naming all the police stations 'Police Dept' and all post offices 'Post Office', the benefit to this, I believe, is search. Landmark search does work, it just doesn't work well. If you search 'Post Office', you're more likely to get a landmark five hundred miles away called 'Post Office' than you are to get every single nearer post office named with a scheme like "New Orleans Post Office - 70117". We learned this with rest areas -- if you search "rest area", you'll get landmarks 800 miles away called "Rest Area" before you get any of the dozens of landmarks named by the scheme "I-65 N mile 84 Rest Area".
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Boiler_81 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:27 am

I also have issue with the much of the water. In many areas of MI lakes provide a point of reference. Without the names, the value is much diminished. I have run across some areas where every mud hole is mapped. I have eliminated the mud holes and left the larger named bodies of water. I think I am going to continue with this method. I am not going to add any water nor am I going to complain if someone deletes it.

I really don't have issue with the national guidelines on religious sites. I think I may delete them as I come across them.
Boiler_81

Postby davielde » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:41 am

Boiler_81 wrote:In many areas of MI lakes provide a point of reference. Without the names, the value is much diminished.

I also think that it is beneficial to have lakes labeled with the name. It's not a priority right now for me to add lakes, but if they make this DNR list, it's probably worth adding them in the future for the label, or keeping them if they already exist.

As for the mud holes and mill ponds, I always try to appreciate the time and effort that some editor has put in making sure that every geo node matches up exactly with the shoreline during the half second that it takes to delete it. In that regard, some bodies of water are works of art.
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby lelehman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:56 am

I'm also down for keeping (and eventually possibly adding) lakes. I was driving near Greenville the other day, and someone has taken quite a lot of time to add in most of the lakes around there.

I tried to fight it, but it was regrettably enjoyable.
ImageImageImage
Rank 5
Mid-Michigan/Tri-Cities Area Manager, Metro Detroit UR Housekeeper
Ithaca, Michigan
Michigan subforum, Michigan wiki
lelehman
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jdeyoung » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:06 pm

First, there is coverage of mapping water landmarks here:
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47438&p=429312&hilit=mapping+water#p426017
I admire the time people take to map lakes to the shoreline, but that actual process is inconsequential, since most lakes of any size are already displayed on the client - albeit without a name. If people are really interested in seeing a name for a lake - a simple (large enough) rectangle with the name may actually suffice. As I understood from the thread cited, there ARE names in the water layer, they're just not now currently displayed.
AM Chicago, NW Indiana, SW Lower MI
jdeyoung

Location: Greater Chicago Metro area, NW Indiana, SW Lower MI, USA

Postby sketch » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:03 pm

There are also cases where smaller water bodies will not be included on the water layer, including many of the open drainage canals we have around New Orleans, like the one here: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-90.17 ... 49&env=usa

I added those in as landmarks a few months ago because they serve as important navigational landmark for people here. The map just doesn't look right without them.

Maybe it's not so important for small lakes or reservoirs far from roads, but any time there's a road crossing a body of water and it isn't on the map, I feel there's a problem.
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davielde » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:25 am

In case there is a very small chance that newer editors see this thread prior to learning about "Places", all guidance is available on the wiki here at the national level. Due to the benefits of standardizing nationally as well as the numerous new categories, I believe that any separate discussion at the state level is moot at this point.
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby sketch » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Thanks. I added a link to the OP.