Road classification update

Moderators: MapSir, GizmoGuy411, SkiDooGuy, TerryPurdue

Postby SkiDooGuy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:23 pm

Wayne is completed. All of my rights across the rest of the state are expiring. But I'll try to clean up what is left if Livingston and surrounding.
SkiDooGuy
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby Riamus » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:21 pm

This is just an update to let other editors know where we are at with updating the road classifications in northern Michigan, including updating the County Highway System. Please note that these are set to the minimum standard for each road type. There may be instances where they should really be a higher classification, but without being able to directly check these areas myself, I can't be certain of that. So although these are complete, there may still need to be some upgrading of roads to a higher classification beyond where they are now.

• All area C county highways are complete.
  • All area F county highways are completed except: F18 and F19 down near Prescott (outside of my area), and F97 from St. Helen south (outside my area). If anyone can finish those, that would be helpful.
  • One area H county highway has been started in St. Ignace. I haven't done any other area H county highways and can't finish that one as it goes outside my area.
  • All arterials and collectors north of Roscommon are completed up to St. Ignace. This includes all areas from Lake Michigan to Lake Huron.

This should greatly improve routing throughout northern Michigan. More work is still needed throughout the rest of the state. For any editors who want to help with the classification of collectors and arterials, please see this for information on the NFC classifications. All collectors (yellow and orange lines) should be at least Primary Street, but can be higher if needed. All principal arterials (red lines) should be at least Major Highway. And the rest of the arterials (green lines) should be at least Minor Highways. In addition, all shielded County Highways should be at least Minor Highway. Note that this includes only shielded county highways - these all begin with a letter between A and H, followed by 2 numbers. Other county roads, such those in the format of County Road XXX are not included as they are not shielded roads. One resource for the County Highway System is here, though there are other resources that can provide better detail. You can also verify the routes using Street View and looking for the signs. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Other work that is desperately needed throughout northern Michigan and perhaps other areas in the state includes correctly setting road direction and turn restrictions. Both of these are very often incorrect/incomplete and can have a large impact on the ability to route someone correctly. There is more to do as well, but road classification, road direction, and turn restrictions have the largest impact in properly routing traffic. There are also a number of missing roads from new construction that need to be added.
Last edited by Riamus on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Riamus

Re: Road classification update

Postby SuperMari0O » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:16 am

Marquette, Delta, Schoolcraft, Alger counties are complete.
SuperMari0O

Postby SuperMari0O » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:16 am

Baraga, Houghton, Keweenaw, Dickinson, Menominee counties complete.
SuperMari0O

Postby miked_64 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:15 pm

Western half of Barry County (ie anywhere i have AM privileges) complete.
miked_64
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby SuperMari0O » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:09 am

Gogebic, Ontonagon, and Iron counties are complete. I am working my way east through the U.P.
Holy wah do I have quite the job ahead of me.
SuperMari0O

Postby miked_64 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:27 pm

I can hit Cass next as well, and VB should be pretty cloe to done on the east side. Can you PM any areas that you have concerns about?
miked_64
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby hitfactor » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:51 am

I have been working Berrien, Van Buren and Cass counties. There are small areas on the east sides of Cass and Van Buren I can't edit. So I can't call them complete. The segments I can edit lead right up to the edge of my capabilities and continue out the other side, so they are fairly obvious.

I'll probably drive out to east Cass county in the next week or two and pickup the remaining area I can't edit then.
hitfactor

Postby trukkurt » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:39 pm

I'm plugging away at Muskegon Co NFC matchup and also upping editing ranks on mH and MH around there to 2 (the highest I can right now) because another editor recently undid some of my FC edits there.

lelehman has Barry Co matched up to NFC pretty well. BTW, that's where she and I "met". ;)
trukkurt

Postby miked_64 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:53 pm

sounds good
miked_64
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to Michigan