Road classification update

Moderators: MapSir, TerryPurdue, GizmoGuy411, SkiDooGuy

Re: Road classification update

Postby davielde » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:58 pm

Boiler_81 wrote:I think it would be helpful if we coordinated editing the Detroit metro area. If people would list in this thread the areas they have edited and are working on it would help us from bumping into one another and analyzing areas which have already been done.

With regard to metro Detroit alone, I believe that everything in Wayne county has been completed from major collector on up with the exception of the Downriver area. That was using the v12 maps though. I have not compared the road types to the v13 maps for Detroit in detail to see how much they may differ. Here's a line showing the area south of Northline Rd down into Monroe county that still needs to be completed. I mostly focused on upgrading road types for Wayne and Oakland counties that were west of the Southfield Fwy, north of Northline Rd, south of Maple Rd, and into Washtenaw and Livingston counties. Binkowski and sketch would be able to give the best answer for how complete Oakland and Macomb counties are since they did most of the work there.
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde

Postby sketch » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:03 pm

We'd been doing that sort of along the course of the conversation, or really, davielde was doing his area and I was filling in the blanks from there--but then finals season started, and the day after that was done my computer was stolen.. I think I finished Macomb and did all of the principal arterials and most of the other arterials in Wayne, but have been filling in the collectors and whichever arterials I may have missed in my first run-through. I know I did downtown (between 75, 375, and the Lodge), not sure exactly what else. I believe davielde's area is at least the southern half of Oakland and some of the Downriver communities.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby keeegs » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:30 am

miked_64 wrote:Captnkeegs - It looks to me like the v13 Kent Co. map follows this color scheme as well. Is it possible that you have an old link?

http://mdotcf.state.mi.us/public/maps_nfc/pdf/NFC13_KENT.pdf

Ah Yep you were right, I had an old PDF saved on my desktop.
West Michigan Area Manager
Moto X 4.4.4 - Vzw
keeegs
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Boiler_81 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:59 pm

OK, I will also update them as I find them. Thanks for all the work done so far. I hope it results iin better routes.
Boiler_81

Postby davielde » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:35 am

I drafted a few paragraphs regarding the NFC classifications for possible inclusion on the Michigan wiki page. If anyone has any feedback or suggestions for edits, please let me know. It is mostly geared toward just providing a summary of the NFC to Waze road type mapping as well as a list of the exceptions where the NFC classification would be trumped by other considerations. The work-in-progress draft is currently located on my wiki profile page here.

I haven't noticed many editors changing road types recently back to match the main wiki road types, which is good. Then again, everything in Ann Arbor minor highway or above is now locked at 3... This documentation would help anyone new who happened to check the Michigan page prior to editing (like they should) understand the divergence from the wiki standard.
WME Michigan
davielde

Postby davielde » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:16 am

I started an inventory of NFC for each MI county on Friday afternoon. The link to the shared Google spreadsheet is available in the To Do List section of the Michigan wiki page: https://www.waze.com/wiki/Michigan#To-do_Lists

I've only had a chance to go through eight counties so far, so it will likely be a few weeks before everything is checked. The methodology that I'm using is to start at the highest road type, check to make sure everything is assigned properly, and then move to each subsequent type. If I find a road type incomplete, I'm simply marking the county as needing further review and moving to the next county. You can add comments to the doc, but PM me if you would like to make direct edits, and I can adjust the file permissions.

I'm using green for counties that look complete for the v13 maps, yellow for needing future review, and red for counties that look like they have not been touched.
WME Michigan
davielde

Postby miked_64 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Kalamazoo County is complete as of today.
ImageImage
AM for SW Michigan
miked_64
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby miked_64 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Allegan County is complete as of today. Eaton County is up next (where i have AM).
ImageImage
AM for SW Michigan
miked_64
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby miked_64 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:46 am

St Joe County and Calhoun county where I have AM privileges are now fully NFC'd. Are we tracking progress here or in the spreadsheet?
ImageImage
AM for SW Michigan
miked_64
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby davielde » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:52 am

miked_64 wrote:St Joe County and Calhoun county where I have AM privileges are now fully NFC'd. Are we tracking progress here or in the spreadsheet?

Both?
WME Michigan
davielde

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan