Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by sketch
Riamus wrote: I'm not sure which roads were changed, but I do see some Minor Highways that were edited by sketch today. Maybe those are the ones you meant? I looked at the NFC and those all seem to be green roads in the NFC. Green would be Minor Highways unless there is a reason to upgrade them to Major. It could also be that the ones that were changed are already changed back.
I changed a whole bunch today. When I got to it there were basically patches of Major Highway amidst various Primary Streets. I figure whoever tried to change it back only had so much driven areas or was lazy, or something.

Anyway, I did a few major roads pretty far out (Woodward all the way to Pontiac, M-53 all the way up to Bad Axe) and chose the rest of my attack based on what would look consistent for now, taking all the partially-changed roads and changing them so they'd be contiguous for the time being until I'm able to tackle the rest of the area.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
davielde wrote:I've started extending the NFC work to Washtenaw county as well.

EDIT: Washtenaw has all of the NFC principal arterials listed as major highways with the exception of two routes:
1) Could someone change Ford Rd from M-14 to Telegraph since a portion is locked and I don't have access to most of that road anyway?
2) There are a few segments near the intersection of State and Ellsworth that are locked.
Permalinks? I will take care of it.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Done. I'd stopped with Ford at Telegraph for the time being because it seemed like a good stopping point and because I didn't go quite that far west. :P
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Riamus wrote:Oops. Hit the solved button instead of the thanks button. It doesn't appear that I can undo that. Anyhow, thanks to everyone helping out.
I can! ;)
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Working through Macomb and Wayne counties. St Clair is a priority too. Real easy to get lost in the Detroit map..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Your gut is correct—dirt roads trump NFC classification.

This is why many editors have been clamoring for a "dirt road" toggle like the "toll road" one. I didn't really understand that need until the first time I went to Michigan. I've since encountered a number of these in northern Macomb County, both in person and on the NFC map.

Regardless, it isn't a huge deal in most cases, since (as far as I know) Primary Street and Street have the same distance limitations. The arterial presents an interesting quandary, but the "dirt roads" setting should work as advertised. If there's a paved alternative, then it isn't a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Finishing Detroit itself is my next target. I've done a lot of the ones that extend north into Macomb, and a lot of the ones that connect to the west with roads you've already done, but some of the intra-city roads still have to be done. I've had a busy weekend, but I should be able to get some more editing done tomorrow.

After that, I'm planning to look at St Clair and Lapeer counties, including Port Huron. I wouldn't mind tackling Downriver and Flint after that.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I would support CR for all. TTS says "County Road". Seems like a reasonably simple deduction even for those not familiar with the abbreviation.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Because NFC classifications (other than freeway) do not depend on the size or style of the road, only on the amount of traffic served by the road, and the function of the road in serving that traffic. A two-lane highway can sometimes be the primary or only thoroughfare through an entire region. In that case it's absolutely a principal arterial, and needs to be a Major Highway because Waze will exclude Minor Highways for very long routes (not sure how long, but I'd suspect somewhere between 50-100 miles).

The current "Waze instructions" are wrong. That's kind of the point.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
US-31 is an extreme example, of course, but that doesn't make it such that no other route can be a principal arterial. For the specific reasons for its classification, you'd have to ask the FHWA (although I'm pretty sure population served is the answer), but it looks pretty obvious to me by zooming out on the map.

Maple Rd best serves east-west travel along that corridor. Quarton is discontinuous and winding; there is a break in 14 Mile; Lone Pine doesn't cover the same distance. There's no need for someone at Maple and Dequindre to go all the way to either 12 Mile or Long Lake to get to 96. At the same time, it should be considered as an alternative to Long Lake for someone going from, say, Long Lake and Mound to Wixom, if there's traffic on Long Lake. Waze will more readily look at alternatives that are of a higher type.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message