Road classification update

Moderators: MapSir, GizmoGuy411, TerryPurdue, SkiDooGuy

Re: Road classification update

Postby Riamus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Unfortunately, some themes just really don't look good in certain situations. Major highways have a width almost as wide as interstates and if a divided highway has the lanes really close together, they can easily appear as one. That being said, you can edit your themes so they are the way you like. I did some edits yesterday myself... making dirt roads brown and a little wider and changing Primary Streets to gray and landmarks to dark gray while still using the default for everything else in the Editor Colors theme. I just hated orange roads or having dirt roads almost impossible to see and I didn't like landmarks looking like water. :) I didn't bother changing the night theme that I use because I'm okay with that one.

Anyhow, you can reduce the width of major highways if you want and that would probably help. Also, avoiding auto-zoom so that it doesn't zoom out so far that they merge together can help, though I personally like auto-zoom. I'm not really sure any other way to handle it. You could slightly shift each side away from the other so there's a bit more gap between them if you think it's needed. But personally, I don't mind if a road looks wide because it's a divided highway and appears merged together at the current zoom level. After all, the entire road includes both sides, so it just makes it more visible as being a road that covers a wider area. But I do understand what you mean.
Last edited by Riamus on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riamus

Postby Binky71 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:31 pm

I've been working on Oakland County, but all are welcome to help. You won't hurt my feelings.

I've noticed that in the night mode, some divided "Major Highway" roads don't looks so super in the app. For instance, the seprate, divided travel lanes of Long Lake Rd in Troy are lost and it looks like one giant road.
Binky71

Postby sketch » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:05 am

Working through Macomb and Wayne counties. St Clair is a priority too. Real easy to get lost in the Detroit map..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davielde » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:23 am

Jackson, Albion, and Marshall have all been upgraded now as well.
davielde

Postby sketch » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:27 pm

Riamus wrote:Oops. Hit the solved button instead of the thanks button. It doesn't appear that I can undo that. Anyhow, thanks to everyone helping out.

I can! ;)
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Riamus » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Oops. Hit the solved button instead of the thanks button. It doesn't appear that I can undo that. Anyhow, thanks to everyone helping out.
Riamus

Postby miked_64 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:51 pm

I'll start working on Kalamazoo County.
miked_64
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Riamus » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:18 pm

davielde wrote:At this point, most of Washtenaw county apart from the Saline area has been upgraded to match NFC. A lot of work west of Telegraph Rd in Wayne and southern Oakland counties has also been done, mostly between the I-94 and I-696 corridors.

Sounds good. And just in case you may have missed it (or anyone else missed it), if a road is already classified higher than the NFC, you shouldn't downgrade the road regardless what the NFC states. At least not until some consideration and perhaps discussion goes into deciding if the road really should be downgraded. There may be valid reasons why it is set higher than what the NFC says and that's fine. We just want to use the NFC as a minimum.
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:16 pm

binkowski wrote:Cool. I'll start using these new standards immediately. But as you probably realize, many editors just go off the Wiki, with little to no reference to these forums. There will be lots of knashing of teeth in the near future.

Unfortunately, this is true. As AMs and even just regular editors aware of these changes, I think the best option is to monitor our areas and if someone changes a classification, we can let them know about the changes. It's not perfect, but we'll likely catch the major editors and that will help.

Another option... My state isn't Michigan, so I can't see the Michigan top editor listing in the client, but maybe you or someone else can get a list of the main editors and PM them with either an explanation or a request to check this thread or something like that. Then we can try to notify the major editors in the state. It will at least help out. Any other ideas to help make people aware of the changes would be great. I think the major editors are the ones who are most likely to notice the changes.

It would be great to have a way to send a message to all Michigan editors, but I don't see that happening. Maybe we can at least send messages automatically to all AMs? I'd imagine the regional coordinators have access to the names of everyone who has AM rights in the state and can send a notification to at least the AMs. Then each AM can work to get the editors in their areas to read up on the changes. Anyhow, just throwing out ideas.
Riamus

Postby davielde » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:58 pm

At this point, most of Washtenaw county apart from the Saline area has been upgraded to match NFC. A lot of work west of Telegraph Rd in Wayne and southern Oakland counties has also been done, mostly between the I-94 and I-696 corridors.
davielde

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan