Road classification update

Moderators: MapSir, GizmoGuy411, SkiDooGuy, TerryPurdue

Re: Road classification update

Postby sketch » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:23 pm

Done. I'd stopped with Ford at Telegraph for the time being because it seemed like a good stopping point and because I didn't go quite that far west. :P
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davielde » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:33 pm

davielde

Postby sketch » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:29 pm

davielde wrote:I've started extending the NFC work to Washtenaw county as well.

EDIT: Washtenaw has all of the NFC principal arterials listed as major highways with the exception of two routes:
1) Could someone change Ford Rd from M-14 to Telegraph since a portion is locked and I don't have access to most of that road anyway?
2) There are a few segments near the intersection of State and Ellsworth that are locked.

Permalinks? I will take care of it.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davielde » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:50 pm

I've started extending the NFC work to Washtenaw county as well.

EDIT: Washtenaw has all of the NFC principal arterials listed as major highways with the exception of two routes:
1) Could someone change Ford Rd from M-14 to Telegraph since a portion is locked and I don't have access to most of that road anyway?
2) There are a few segments near the intersection of State and Ellsworth that are locked.
davielde

Postby lelehman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:22 am

Riamus wrote:You may want to let that editor know that we're using the NFC so they know what's going on and don't keep changing things. :)

Emailed him yesterday, no response. We'll see.
lelehman
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Riamus » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:12 am

You may want to let that editor know that we're using the NFC so they know what's going on and don't keep changing things. :)
Riamus

Postby sketch » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:07 am

Riamus wrote:I'm not sure which roads were changed, but I do see some Minor Highways that were edited by sketch today. Maybe those are the ones you meant? I looked at the NFC and those all seem to be green roads in the NFC. Green would be Minor Highways unless there is a reason to upgrade them to Major. It could also be that the ones that were changed are already changed back.

I changed a whole bunch today. When I got to it there were basically patches of Major Highway amidst various Primary Streets. I figure whoever tried to change it back only had so much driven areas or was lazy, or something.

Anyway, I did a few major roads pretty far out (Woodward all the way to Pontiac, M-53 all the way up to Bad Axe) and chose the rest of my attack based on what would look consistent for now, taking all the partially-changed roads and changing them so they'd be contiguous for the time being until I'm able to tackle the rest of the area.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby lelehman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:01 am

Riamus wrote:I'm not sure which roads were changed, but I do see some Minor Highways that were edited by sketch today. Maybe those are the ones you meant? I looked at the NFC and those all seem to be green roads in the NFC. Green would be Minor Highways unless there is a reason to upgrade them to Major. It could also be that the ones that were changed are already changed back.

Yup, sketch changed most of 'em back today. I've started working on Lansing in the meantime.
lelehman
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Riamus » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:57 am

lelehman wrote:Detroit is going to end up about as intense as NOLA, from the looks of it. I've started on the area that I have access to at the moment. This is what it looks like after I finished (or almost, anyway) adding the major highways. Here's what I'm basing it from - I have never before wished for a clearer PDF. ;) Should I move on to adding the minor highways and such, or downgrade most of these back to minor highways/primary streets? There was very little distinction between road types before I started this, and at the very least we might be able to get a good amount of feedback on how the routing is working. Agreed, it looks kinda ridiculous, but I can see how it would work pretty well. Since the NFC maps were updated in 2012 and should be fairly accurate, I'm willing to try this on a larger scale, if other Michigan editors are in agreement.

EDIT 11/3/13: Another editor reset about half the roads I had edited back down to primaries/minor highways, but basically anything you see as a minor highway in this area is a major highway on the NFC map.

As with other major cities, it can seem excessive in the editor. I think when you look at it from the client or in the Live Map, you'll find that it looks a lot nicer and that it works very well. Try some various tests with the routing in a few days once the map tiles are updated and see how it works. Northern Michigan is already using the NFC for most of the area north of Grayling and the rest of that area will be updated soon. I definitely think we should do this for the entire state as it seems to work really well even if it can sometimes look bad in the editor. And yes, it can be a pain to use the PDFs to figure out which road is which classification at times. :)

I'm not sure which roads were changed, but I do see some Minor Highways that were edited by sketch today. Maybe those are the ones you meant? I looked at the NFC and those all seem to be green roads in the NFC. Green would be Minor Highways unless there is a reason to upgrade them to Major. It could also be that the ones that were changed are already changed back.
Riamus

Postby sketch » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:36 pm

Hah, that's not nearly as bad as the general Wayne County map. I'll get to it.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan