Post by davielde
sketch wrote:Let's start locking all Minor and Major at 3?
I agree as even mH that I've had locked at 2 were mass-downgraded once in the Ann Arbor area. I've been locking both mH and MH at 3 since the guidelines went national, but I have not done much dedicated functional class work in the past two weeks or so.

I noticed as well last week that the criteria to reach rank 3 was bumped to 25k edits. That's kind of a mixed blessing in that it gives people enough time to read the wiki and get used to the road type guidelines but may discourage newer editors. Then again, there are plenty of things outside of the main roads that can get you to that number of edits, but road types seem to be a large draw--especially red "major highways" that appear mis-typed if you're not familiar with functional classification.

Another consideration when locking to 3 would be checking for other errors while upgrading. My regional coordinator has always tried to get me to focus on the "complete" picture, so it involves checking for connectivity, soft turns, etc. I don't mind focusing solely on upgrading road types and leaving issues when the lock is 1 (don't look at the eastern UP right now...). I or any other editor can go in and clean up at any point. When a road is locked higher though, I would hope to do so only after correcting all noticeable issues prior to locking. A number of bad edits locked at 1 could be an oversight, or at least people could see that I was "on a mission" with the road types. A number of bad edits locked at 3 makes me look careless, and it prohibits people from fixing legitimate problems.
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by jdeyoung
Sorry, I just noticed an overambitious rank 1 editor just undid most (if not all) of the NFC work in Holland MI.
I PM'ed the editor and our RC GizmoGuy, but the NFC edits will need to be re-done here.
Sigh.
Altho it seems heavy-handed, for now we should probably lock at level 2 for all of these and wait with bated breath for the traffic-lock approach for NA.
jdeyoung
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
I also noticed a very small segment that was staff locked around Allendale. Don't have the permalink handy just yet, but that could be fixed in the process as well.
jdeyoung
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by lelehman
Sounds like it was quite the arduous process for you - time for some minor celebration:

lelehman
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by miked_64
Holland is back in business. Reverted everything (i think) back to NFC.
miked_64
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///mAisJ[/img]https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
AM for SW Michigan

Post by miked_64
jdeyoung wrote:I also noticed a very small segment that was staff locked around Allendale. Don't have the permalink handy just yet, but that could be fixed in the process as well.
Unlock request submitted both on the Unlock forum and on the staff unlock request form. We'll see if either of those work.

Working on the other segments davielde mentioned.
miked_64
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
AM for SW Michigan

Post by miked_64
jdeyoung wrote:I also noticed a very small segment that was staff locked around Allendale. Don't have the permalink handy just yet, but that could be fixed in the process as well.
Staff unlock request finally got approved. All fixed!
miked_64
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
AM for SW Michigan

Post by sketch
I think I got most of it. Might wanna double-check, though.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Let's start locking all Minor and Major at 3?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
davielde wrote:I noticed as well last week that the criteria to reach rank 3 was bumped to 25k edits. That's kind of a mixed blessing in that it gives people enough time to read the wiki and get used to the road type guidelines but may discourage newer editors. Then again, there are plenty of things outside of the main roads that can get you to that number of edits, but road types seem to be a large draw--especially red "major highways" that appear mis-typed if you're not familiar with functional classification.
It's been in the works for a while. Rank 3 brings with it kind of a lot of power — that's what AMs get — and it was far too easy to get to rank 3 quickly by cheating, whether using scripts or mass-editing manually and erroneously. Area Managers might use rank 3 locks for important roads or locally-important special configurations, so increasing the requisite edit count can prevent larger problems in some cases.

Rank 2 doesn't carry much responsibility, but it's easy to achieve, providing a small incentive to make your first 1,000 edits.

Making it take longer to get to rank 3 might be a disincentive to new users, but the formal mentoring program will mitigate some of that. Also, I don't think we're increasing the AM application criteria by much if any, so good new editors can still get rank 3 pretty easily through that route. Improvements to the clarity and sufficiency of the Wiki documentation should make it easier for motivated new editors to learn how to be good editors from the start, too.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message