Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by redviper26
davielde wrote:I've noticed on a few recent drives that Waze has not presented some usual routes that happen to have really bad potholes, and I'm wondering if Waze is just doing a good job at naturally routing around bad areas as drivers either avoid them or travel much slower on them. This may not be the case with higher traffic segments such as Commerce Rd, but is definitely something that I've noticed in some areas.
Hey guys,

Changing road types etc. can cause issues down the road, and is not advisable unless the road's function was changed.

The Slovakian community had a similar issue with potholes. They created a dedicated site mapping problematic roads, and even went so far as to create viral content around it which got some media attention. I'm not saying that's the ideal solution, but I think we can find a creative one that does not involve changing road types.

Let me know what you think,

Noam
redviper26
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by the1who
Waze never intended to report road deterioration conditions. You can report issues like closures for construction and say natural disasters such as floods, but not because of a pothole. If that was the case, then the whole stretch of I-40 in AZ should be avoided because it is nothing but a flaky asphalt surface as it is.

I do appreciate the post as well so we can address and discuss. The one word of advice I'd suggest is making sure that the road classifications are just for the roads adjacent. Are the highways properly classed, are the streets properly classed, etc. I'd rely on local GIS and FC maps to help make a reasonable call if there is debate as to which should be used.

After that, the more people drive a particular road also helps Waze provide a route with the database of speed data and average time. I think it would pan out that if someone drove a route more, they'd get more data on that route which would help others too. But I don't know what you are dealing with in particular either, I am blind to the situation without the permalink, even if you provided the general area and road names. Maybe none of those aforementioned tips will help. But one thing to consider too is that Waze will learn your preferred route and suggest it too the more you drive it.

I have two routes I can take home from work, which at the time of night, are about the same on whitepaper in terms of time, but without stoplights. I prefer the freeway over the surface streets even though I might go one mile more. But Waze suggests me the freeway route now, since it is night, when I used to be driving home in the afternoon with traffic jams, it would suggest the surface streets and I took them then. It is more useful for you personally for sure. But for helping others, Waze was never really designed as I said about the type of road issues, except for immediate issues that deserve the attention of active drivers at the time.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.99

Post by the1who
Forgot to mention from the 2013 meetup. We were told direct from Waze employees, not to mess with road type class changes to adjust route navigation issues or modifications to try to hack the system. We know certain issues, such as long distance routing, that this was necessary, but if it is a primary street or a highway, I don't see it necessary to change the road type until us champs can see if we can help you further at this time as GG411 requested. I'd study the public maps to the best of your ability, if you need help finding one, let us know. I have looked up the area I thought a time or two before, but I can't seem to find the bookmark on it now. I have many others, not this area though.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader

Post by the1who
Just saw this... http://holykaw.alltop.com/pothole-eats- ... n-michigan

So not that we don't believe.... This just takes the cake though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Android Beta Leader