Michigan Virtual WazeUp / MapUp / Meetup

Post by davielde
If you've worked with Google Map Maker, you may have heard of a MapUp or Virtual MapUp. They are basically sessions where a few editors get together and...edit the map. In addition to being a good collaboration opportunity, it's also a good training opportunity. I often see editors working in Michigan via the "Live Users" layer in WME. Many I've interacted with through the forums, but others are working on the map who may not have ever posted in the forums or are just getting started. WME Chat is a good opportunity to interact with other editors at any point you sign in, but a MapUp would have the specific focus on some topic or area related to Michigan. It would also help people get to know other local editors.

I wanted to gauge if there would be a level of interest on the part of any Michigan-based editors to try to arrange a Virtual WazeUp at some point. I'm personally busy over the next few weeks, but I would not mind trying to pull something together perhaps after mid-May. Rank and experience would not matter, and everyone would be welcome. We would also plan on not going too long--perhaps an hour or so depending on people's level of interest or availability. Google Hangout has a ten participant limit, and that is the venue that I would probably lean toward. Taking over WME Chat would probably be too intrusive for editors from outside our great state.

If anyone thinks this is something that would be worthwhile, just post some particular days of the week, times of day that would work, and potential topics. We'll then see if we can pull something together. If there is sufficient interest, I would also not be opposed to trying to do something on a semi-regular basis.

EDIT: We are attempting to hold a Virtual WazeUp for Michigan editors! Here are the details:
WhatMichigan Virtual WazeUp
DateWednesday, May 21, 2014
Time8:30pm Eastern
MethodGoogle Hangout - Send a PM to davielde with your Google account info to be included. There is a ten participant limit.
TopicsMapping resources
Adding/editing Places
City/township discussion
General discussion
Audience Anyone interested in Michigan editing, with any level of experience
davielde

POSTER_ID:16797636

Send a message
Last edited by davielde on Mon May 05, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by aaronosmer
Hi everyone!I will be on an Alaskan Cruise the 21st, but would love to join something like this in the future.
aaronosmer
Send a message
Aaron Osmer
Samsung Galaxy S4, Android 4.4.2
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/24/W ... 2cones.png

Post by davielde
I'd like to keep weekends open for everyone, so if I were to propose either Monday, May 19 or Wednesday, May 21; which would work better? I'm being slightly selfish as well in that I have kids that go to bed around 8pm, so I would propose a start time of 8:30pm Eastern on either of those dates. We'll end by 9:00 or 9:30 depending on how things go.

We'll plan on lelehman's topics of resources, places, and cities to start; and let's see how the conversation evolves.

Let's plan on a Google Hangout. My account is davielde.waze@gmail.com, and anyone who wants to attend could either PM me their vote for the date as well as their Google account info, or post here if they are comfortable doing that.

Remember, anyone with an interest in Michigan editing, at any skill level, is welcome. Hopefully, we can make this work!
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
Based on the public and private feedback, we'll shoot for Wednesday, May 21 at 8:30pm. I'll post and PM final connection details prior to the Virtual WazeUp, and I will edit the OP to show the info.
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
redshadowing wrote:If you have any dates in the future, please post 'em.
We'll evaluate how the first one goes. If it seems like something that would work on a regular basis, we can try to work out a schedule.
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
skidoomxz01 wrote:Did I miss something?
I did a group video call request around 8:30pm, so I apologize if there were problems getting in.
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
I want to thank everyone who was able to attend last night: lelehman, KelleyCook, and anthogna.

After some initial technical difficulties, it was good to be able to interact with a few fellow editors and discuss some techniques and concerns around the state. While it destroys our anonymity, it's good to be able to put faces to people and have a real conversation.

As to our discussion, we hit on a few resources from the Michigan wiki page such as MiDrive and the PR Finder as well as a few of the local county or city resources that people are using for street finding. Let's not forget tax and property records too for finding street names and addresses! Construction also came into play, where MiDrive once again was a great way to track larger scale construction. MDOT's twitter feed ends up being more of a realtime traffic resource rather than a good construction one (since we need to sift through all of the other info).

We also discussed the implementation of Places to date (or potential lack thereof since it has not been too high on many people's priority list). Area Places still seem to be the large focus, with visibility on the map and the ability to orient ourselves. Places are being added to a large extent "as needed" (such as UR help), but no one is really going out and adding everything down the street as a Point Place at this time.

We briefly discussed and clarified the existing cities/townships issue, which can be found in more detail here in the Michigan forum. The problem for us at this point is not so much methodology as we are all in agreement that rural townships and "greater" areas need to go, but rather in how to make changes. Since the city change form response is slow to non-existent, we would like to make large scale changes but are not able to at this time. Ideally, there would simply be an editable city layer independent of segment city names, but in the meantime, this is a low priority issue due to the lack of movement with the change form.
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by lelehman
I was just thinking the other day how fun something like this could be. I'm free after 6PM every weekday except Monday, and my weekends are usually completely open.

Topic ideas:

- Resources. Sharing where we get our mapping information, be it from websites or physical maps, would increase individual editing power and possibly create some more uniformity. Updating the Michigan Mapping Resources section of the Michigan wiki with everything we've collectively discovered would be a good thing to do afterward, too.

- Places. If any newer editors are attending, we should make sure that everyone is categorizing places per the Wiki specifications. (Side note, when properly categorized, parks no longer show up as green in the Livemap and the default color scheme in the client, and this makes me sad.)

- City names on roads and how they translate to the client, as well as the stupid amount of townships we should be trying to get rid of. I'm still not clear on how this works - I attempted to remove the city names from roads in townships near my hometown, and now I get a bunch of city popups that say "Unknown", which is pretty unattractive. Not sure if I just suck or if this is a legitimate problem.
lelehman
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lelehman
Wednesday night would work for me, I don't think I'd be able to swing Monday unless we started at like 9:15 or so.
lelehman
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by miked_64
This does sound fun, but I have recently changed jobs at work and have far less time to Waze about. I'll probably lurk around and join if I can though.
miked_64
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///mAisJ[/img]https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
AM for SW Michigan