Alleys

Post by sixthdimension
Davenport is littered with alleys, and they're all mapped in waze, which makes the map appear to be very cluttered. I have navigated to a number of houses in the area and it almost always routes me into the alley at the back of the house rather than out front on the street. I would like to vote that we standardize what to do with alleys in the state of Iowa. I say that they shouldn't be mapped at all.

From the Illinois wiki:
As a general rule, alleys should not be mapped. They clutter the map and can cause routing issues....Waze will route to the closest segment for a set of destination coordinates. This may result in the destination being in the alley....
Due to the clutter and routing issues that they cause, I would like to start removing them in the Davenport area, assuming the editing community agrees with me.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
sixthdimension
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:6977538

Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
That might be our general rule, but the city of Chicago has them. There we were fighting with deleting them and then a Missing road report would come along and an editor would put them back. It was a losing battle. So we set them as parking lot roads which doesn't solve the closest segment to final destination problem. For that, we are moving blocks of addresses on Waze so that they are picked over the Google pins. It is a lot of work, but it does work.

Now in rural areas, I have been removing them.

Just my input from one that has dealt with them.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
We named the Chicago ones Alley. That's when TTS would pick up the next named segment when one was unnamed. People always complained that it was named wrong when it picked up North Ave as the street name for an alley and North Ave was a block away. But TTS has stopped doing that now.

Another advantage to naming them was to select all streets named Alley if you need to change anything. But I think the norm is to leave them unnamed.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by bretmcvey
My two cents... I'm in the pro keeping them camp. Even in rural/smaller towns. So as has already been mentioned, you may delete them all and then start seeing either system errors indicating a missing road or a user choosing to report a missing road. I've lived in smaller towns where some homes are accessible for parking via a rear alley, making them very useful. I've even encountered a situation where one Wazer drove around for months in Fremont, NE reporting EVERY single alley that they noticed was missing so they could be included into the system.

I'm fully aware of the issues with routing based on the marker pins being too close to an alley vs. a regular street segment, but this to me is usually dealt with via editing the house numbers (assuming they update as they're supposed to... which is a different matter I'm seeing crop up).

In many un-edited areas those alleys need a little TLC and just being set to parking lot types to prevent routing onto them if they've been left as-is from the original port of data into the Waze Map Editor.

I would also personally caution on mass-deletion based on clutter. If you go down that path, you'd be justifying the deletion of any/all parking lot roads or longer rural driveways. I personally try to keep these as every little bit can help in overall navigation as long as the destination marker pin is right on the money.

I know they've been proposed elsewhere, but I'd love to see Waze handle things visually by making parking lot/private roads appear visually more faint or thinner or even by completely hiding those types of roads until you're nearby your intended destination.

The biggest overall challenge is getting marker pins to where they need to be. I'm adding Places (Points) in addition to attempting to make revisions via Google Map Maker (which at times can be maddening) so navigation to particular destination can literally take a driver to the front door.

Even as a workaround for users reporting issues, I'd highly recommend instructing them on how they can long-press on the screen to more immediately set a destination point as a favorite in case they want to ensure their navigation is to an exact spot on the map in case the search results marker pin is in a location that causes trouble.
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by bretmcvey
Also keep an eye out for cul-de-sacs streets and homes at corners. Those are other common issues flagged by users that are ultimately marker pin related. Where Google (typically) or even Waze may have an address marker set approximately and not exactly resulting in the same trouble. The result, sending people incorrectly to a street behind a cul-de-sac or to the wrong street for a corner address.

Also keep an eye out even in the city for a home owner who might have a longer drive but would get navigated incorrectly to a different street depending on where there house sits on the property. I don't have a permalink at the moment, but there was a user in Bettendorf that had this issue. They needed a private road added into Waze and their house number placement updated so they weren't told to navigate to a housing development to the south of where they actually reside.

Once you shred through and and clean streets, intersections, nodes, etc... the primary issue reports I see are "Wrong Directions"... typically related to Google's pin placements (which are frequently placed where there's an ad sign for a business or just poorly somewhere in the vicinity).

Good luck! No matter what you edit... You can easily find lots to tackle.
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bretmcvey
I name as "Alley" by default as well for any location I edit for exactly the same reasons.
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sixthdimension
Thanks. You both make good points, and I agree.

I guess I'll put updating house numbers to be more accurate and closer to the street on my to-do list. I'll also make sure that they are marked as parking lot roads. There should be no name, correct?
sixthdimension
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message