County Highway Naming

Post by EliWCoyote
Hi, fellow Iowans. :) I have a few questions about county highway naming in Iowa.

1) This page says Iowa's naming convention is "County Hwy xxx", but everywhere I look in Eastern Iowa, I see "CR-xxx". Which one is correct?

2) When should a county route number be the primary street name, and when should it just be an alternate name?

Details: Sorry for the vague reference, but somehow I got the impression that the primary street name should always defer to whatever the road signs say at "most" intersections, even if it means the route number becomes the alternate name. I believe this "rule" is partially implied by this page, under "Highways through cities/towns", which says route numbers should defer to city street names within city boundaries.

Here is a permalink example from rural Illinois: Although this is "SR-78" zigzagging north-to-south across the map, its primary street name is always the local road name instead of SR-78. I can understand why that was done, because even though the state route is clearly marked at each of its turns, when you look at Street View, the vast majority of the intersections just have the little green street name sign.

Using that same logic, then--despite the good job Iowa does marking its county routes--it seems like any Iowa county route with a street name should have that as the primary street name, and the county route number as an alternate. This because "most" intersections with a county route have nothing but the little green street name sign. But again, I don't see it marked that way in Eastern Iowa, hardly ever. Is there a reason?
EliWCoyote

POSTER_ID:17014218

Send a message

Post by bretmcvey
I'd personally stick to "CR-XXX" as the name where possible. The basemap had the "County Hwy XXX" on some but not all of the major county routes. We're also trying to update state highway names to be "IA-XX" instead of "State Highway XX".

As was mentioned by nhanway, the road naming does tend to depend on your location. Inside a city I'd switch a CR-XXX to be an alt name, but in rural areas the largest signage present and easiest to see for a driver would the county signage. You'll have people local to an area that may have issues with this. Obviously we'd still keep the named portion of the street as an alt name, but since the larger county signage might be the first thing a person would see, it would make sense to use it for easier navigation.
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by nhanway
You have some good questions. Every state has there own rules, and I am not an editor in Iowa so I do not know the Iowa specific rules. But with that said I will do my best to answer or direct you to answers.

Normally its good to follow the guide on this page. But County Hwy XX is the old standard and it is possible there is a reason why some roads have been translated to the new standard or CR-XX. Be for making any changes to the naming of County Highways I would reach out to your State Managers and your Regional Coordinator.

As far as how to name roads, roads should almost always be named according to the street sign.
For example lets say County Hwy 23 goes through Ames Iowa, most likely Ames will have there own name for County Hwy 23. County Hwy 23 through Ames is called N 123rd St, N 123rd St should be the primary name and County Hwy 23 should be an alternate name.

This means in some cases State Highways and County Highways will never be the primary name, and that is okay. Its helpful to remember that Waze is a navigation app and not a mapping app. Use that name that is most helpful to drivers but not necessarily the most accurate name.

I hope this helps address all your questions.
nhanway
Send a message