Hy-Vee Triathlon

Post by the1who
Hello Iowazers!

Just writing to let you know that I have used their website to contact them for more information so that I can get all the details to aid us in getting closure information of the roads around this event. They have pretty detailed course maps as it is, but I lack general time information and exact roads that will be closed. I can make a pretty good guess at it by their maps.

I am just letting you know, as I said above, I have reached out from their website on Monday (8/5) and then I reached out on their Facebook page (8/6). I tried using Des Moines Engineering site which shows closures, they don't mention the Triathlon anywhere, they don't have emails to facilitate a conversation there, so I'll try to reach out by phone here through end of next week. Essentially, letting others know so they won't get swamped by similar requests and that it can be directed through me if you have any information. I'll pass that on through the event form and Waze employees, reaching out to make sure it will be covered.

The triathlon is September 1st, and the cycle course (40k) goes down Park to State Hwy 28, to Army Post Road to Fleur, then turning around to go back to Grey Park. With Fleur being closed down it looks like at Park and Army Post being closed at Fleur, with State Hwy 28 being closed from Army Post to Park, leaves a few paths of entry to the airport. Park from the East to Fleur. Army Post from the East to Fleur, and North on Fleur from the South. We go from about 6 ways to get to the airport to 3 ways. Figured if there are plenty using Waze in Iowa, then we can get some smart routing around the event this year. I see that as a plus for safety of the event participants and personnel, and a faster way to route from A-B with smart navigation from Waze. That is my goal right now, I see great potential in this. I have already reached out to a few, but maybe the wrong people anyways. If anyone has insight, look forward to it, thanks!

Matt
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

POSTER_ID:872208

Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.100

Post by AndyPoms
Please make sure you are submitting this event with the new Waze Traffic Events Center (there is a submission form towards the bottom of that first post). These events are currently entered manually by the Waze staff, so the more time you can give them to do it, the better.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
When you submit it, you may want to send off an email or a PM to Amit, he's reached out back to me for clarification on a few of the small things I've submitted.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
the1who wrote:There is going to be one way in, and one way out. I hope that with the editing to the closure feature and proper roads setup, that it will work as designed and hoped for.
Yea, we end up with a few of those here in CT for the Hartford Marathon - the course completely surrounds a few neighborhoods, and there is ONE way in & out (and it's a ramp to the Interstate). There is also one small area that is entirely cut off that morning - no way in & no way out (they actually station a fire truck in that area just in case)...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by the1who
I am, I just am waiting for some replies from them first before I blindly send it off to them without hopefully, having that first hand knowledge from them.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader

Post by the1who
I got official word from event organizer on the precise details of the closings. I have submitted those details to the event form and provided permalinks to road/segment per the form. I also alerted Amit with email of that submission. We have some time on this to make sure things go right. I have also added some details and cleaned up the immediate area in the hopes to ensure proper routing.

There is one thing that isn't visibly noticeable from the maps provided right away...

There is going to be one way in, and one way out. I hope that with the editing to the closure feature and proper roads setup, that it will work as designed and hoped for.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Android Beta Leader

Post by the1who
Here for an update.

I know that the event details I submitted with the road closures and times are in the spreadsheet of events. They are ready to be used during the event. I'll try to check on that myself that day though I won't be in Des Moines that weekend. But routing to and around the event should work as planned.

For those wanting precise navigation to the event, I have created a parking lot landmark per the event organizer's documents where they want participants to park. All you have to do is search, "Hy-Vee Triathlon Parking, Des Moines, IA" for example, and the result should show in Waze. I have tested with the livemap navigation and in the app, and it routes according to the maps provided.

Happy Wazing!
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Android Beta Leader

Post by the1who
Ok, it looks like it was a success! I was monitoring as much as I could with the app and livemap. I even simulated navigation in and around the closed areas. I will now delete the parking lot landmark I created until next year and fix any of the turn restrictions I setup to help navigate there today. Thanks to everyone at Waze and Hy-Vee for their help in this event.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Android Beta Leader