NE DOT FC

Moderator: the1who

Re: NE DOT FC

Postby bretmcvey » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:19 am

For Nebraska there are two sets of functional classification maps to reference. One set has the full counties, but doesn't show the areas within some of the counties most significant cities. The other set focuses just on the primary cities within those counties.

County-Wide:
http://www.transportation.nebraska.gov/maps/func-cty-maps.htm

Primary Cities:
http://www.transportation.nebraska.gov/maps/func-city-by-cnty-maps.htm

Please use both resources depending on what areas you're editing in. NOTE, some gravel roads are considered collector types and based on the new road type standards being in consideration for "Primary Street" status despite the fact they are unpaved roads. This may ultimately need a larger discussion if it becomes problematic for routing, but there are those gravel roads that are wider, and better maintained than others that have earned the "collector" status and are meant for more traffic regardless of their unpaved nature.
Country Manager: USA / State Manager: Nebraska
Areas of Focus: Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming and NW Missouri

bretmcvey
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby bretmcvey » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:39 am

Agreed on all accounts!

The mention of Primary Streets usage for collectors was more of a heads-up as we still have issues with new editors wanting to convert gravel roads to Dirt/4x4 types.

I have zero issue with collector gravel roads as they have a very clear purpose for higher traffic flows in rural areas. Once more updating to the FC is complete I'm wanting to see if the collector (county hwy) types that are paved and also considered Primary might not need a bump to Minor Hwy so those paved routes would still get higher preference (although some of that would be resolved if the elusive unpaved attribute checkbox option made it to the System).

Thank you for providing resource links for the Plains regions!
Country Manager: USA / State Manager: Nebraska
Areas of Focus: Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming and NW Missouri

bretmcvey
Map Raider
Map Raider

NE DOT FC

Postby the1who » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:48 pm

Here is a link to their website containing their DOT FC maps.

http://www.transportation.nebraska.gov/ ... y-maps.htm
Waze Champ, USA Region 3 (Plains) Coordinator, and Country Manager
Android Expert
Direct E-mail: waze.midwest@gmail.com

Nexus 5 - 5.0.1 | Waze 3.9.4
Nexus 7 - 5.0.2 | Waze 3.9.4

Waze FAQ | Best Map Editing Practice | Waze chat IRC
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby the1who » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:18 am

Thanks Bret, I couldn't have said it better there. I am merely providing the stepping stone. I can't go and get every single resource, besides FC maps, I do want to express that editors also get familiar with GIS maps, mainly for the explicit purpose to confirm details that even more popular map products may get wrong. What I mean is, naming conventions for roads, house/parcel numbers for addresses, etc.

But mainly I was trying to provide the direct link to those working in the Plains region with the direct state resource for a FC map to use. As you have stated, I'd like to see in this region, those gravel roads that are considered collector types, to match a primary street. It has been expressed that either dirt or primary street type get treated the same. My goal is to provide the clear concise information on the map for users. These roads span between county lines, from town to town, and are main thoroughfare of travel between such rural towns. Hence why I am pushing for the use of them as such, matching the Road Type Wiki conversion chart as well in this case.

Until we are provided an attribute checkbox for a dirt road or other road variances, the road types will be matched to the FC as the Wiki states. It will be now for us to convince the powers that be to provide us with some extra tools. We have mentioned it to them, they have taken our feedback. Right now we just need to use what we have.

Thanks again for the extra contributions Bret.
Waze Champ, USA Region 3 (Plains) Coordinator, and Country Manager
Android Expert
Direct E-mail: waze.midwest@gmail.com

Nexus 5 - 5.0.1 | Waze 3.9.4
Nexus 7 - 5.0.2 | Waze 3.9.4

Waze FAQ | Best Map Editing Practice | Waze chat IRC
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Return to Nebraska