FC change proposal for state spurs

Post by herrchin
I've analyzed some state spurs over the last couple of weeks, and I have an FC change proposal:

Rural Major Collector / Spur increase from PS to mH.

Reasoning is that the state parks I'm seeing have a preferred route (the spur), but also have other national major collectors that connect up to them. The State (not national) FC maps also have the spurs as a major arterial, whereas the other connecting roads are "other arterial".

Without the change, other than time/distance, the Spur has equivalency to some fairly minor roads. The spurs are also paved (at least all that I've evaluated), whereas the other collectors are often gravel. I would hope that differentiating the spurs with the Type increase would improve their selection for long-distance routing (which is what most people routing to a park would be doing: long distance).
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager

POSTER_ID:17097078

Send a message

Post by bretmcvey
I'm fine with that based on routing logic. The downfall is how the spur will stick out more so visually and goes against the national standard. Routing priority needs to be a large consideration though.

I've used a technique for some Spurs to keep them as PS but making them preferred. They keep the look of PS but would function as mH. That would be an alternative to setting as mH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by bretmcvey
Yes. Let's go ahead with mH to make certain the spurs are accessible and have priority for routing. Thanks!
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by herrchin
For an example, look at S-16B which is the E-W road in the south-central portion of these two maps:

Cherry County NE national FC

Cherry County NE state FC
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by herrchin
herrchin wrote:Without the change, other than time/distance, the Spur has equivalency to some fairly minor roads. The spurs are also paved (at least all that I've evaluated), whereas the other collectors are often gravel. I would hope that differentiating the spurs with the Type increase would improve their selection for long-distance routing (which is what most people routing to a park would be doing: long distance).
To add to this, the Spur is a State-maintained highway, whereas the "back" way in over a PS is often a county-maintained road.
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by herrchin
bretmcvey wrote:I've used a technique for some Spurs to keep them as PS but making them preferred. They keep the look of PS but would function as mH. That would be an alternative to setting as mH.
If that gets our goals met, then perhaps that's the ticket. What's the technique?
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by herrchin
herrchin wrote:
bretmcvey wrote:I've used a technique for some Spurs to keep them as PS but making them preferred. They keep the look of PS but would function as mH. That would be an alternative to setting as mH.
If that gets our goals met, then perhaps that's the ticket. What's the technique?
Bret and I discussed this a bit more, and to flag a road as Preferred currently requires rank 5 and beta WME access, and results in the segments being locked to L5. Given the pros/cons of the two options, the proposal is to change all NE Spurs to a minimum of mH (instead of PS) until if/when a better option comes along.
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by herrchin
Everyone in favor of wiki'ing this change in?
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by herrchin
Rural FC chart updated including an annotation that links back to this thread.
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by sgtgary
I may need to digest this a little bit more and think on it but overall I like the idea. It makes sense! The RCs set some fairly strict guidance ~2 years ago directing we follow the national FC assignments and deviating only in unique or unusual circumstances. I think this may be one of those as long as we document it fully in the Wiki and it still conforms with the state FC.
I'd really like to hear Bret's take since he is our regional Champ. He may think of something, either positive or negative, that I wouldn't have considered.

Still, I vote yes
(wait, are we voting? LOL. Regardless I like it)
sgtgary
Send a message
Nebraska State Manager
US Plains Editor
Twitter: @sgtgary