Driveway Mapping Proposal

Post by banished
PROPOSAL:
Map any driveway longer than 800m (2625ft or about 1/2-mile). (See Ref. 1)

BACKGROUND:
Montana (see Ref. 2), as with many western states, has large areas of private property in rural areas. Access to residences on these properties is often via long private driveways. Montana currently follows national guidance (see Ref. 3) on driveways, which prohibits mapping of driveways under 50m (164ft), and over 50m ONLY if the driveway meets certain conditions. None of those conditions apply.

RATIONALE/IMPACT:
  • 1. Eliminates the present 50m restriction on mapping driveways that serve a single residence, but ONLY when the driveway is 800m long, or more;

2. Improves time-of-arrival (TOA) calculations;

3. Improves time-to-arrival (TTA) calculations;

4. Improves time-to-leave (TTL) calculations and notices when the user’s account is connected to their Google calendar;

5. Notwithstanding 2 thru 4, improves user experience; if my driveway were that long, I’d want it mapped; i.e., user wants deserve consideration;

6. Reduce the impact (real or perceived) of current policy more applicable to an urban and suburban driveway density environment;

7. It takes the same amount of time (2 minutes) to traverse a 1/2-mile driveway at 15mph as it does to traverse a named 15mph paved street with a single residence at the end; under present policy, we would map the paved named street, but not the driveway; hence, we owe it to the user to account for this time in their TOA, TTA, and TTL experience. (See Ref. 4.)
REFERENCES (accessed 19-Nov-2017): Lastly, if consensus after discussion is it should be less, perhaps 1/4-mile, that’s fine. For now, I respectfully request the scope of the proposal be limited to Montana. If this proposal can't get adopted there, it's unlikely to be adopted anywhere!

With the guidance and consent of the NWR RC, this discussion will remain open for a couple weeks, then put up for a vote.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:22886

Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by banished
At this particular snapshot in time, I concur the impact would be small. But, what does the future hold? Worse coverage? The same? Better? I am hopeful it will get better.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?i ... 677d40145a
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by CluelessBillingsDriver
I am okay with mapping any driveway longer than 1/2 mile or even longer than 1/4 mile. Though the impact would be very small given the lack of cell coverage in rural areas.
CluelessBillingsDriver
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by snachodog
I like this proposal a lot. Cell coverage is improving rapidly in rural areas and I have experienced first hand the issue with lack of mapped driveways.

400m is fine with me if that's the consensus.
snachodog
Send a message
@snachodog
A Level 2 Montana Editor

Post by TheChrisK
I like this proposal and I am glad you brought it up. It's not something I considered until now. Looking at the current state wiki guidance, it is somewhat vague in some areas and a little too specific in others. I feel the distance should be shorter and I would propose a quarter mile (~400 meters).
TheChrisK
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
TheChrisK

Country Manager: United States

Post by TheChrisK
It's good to plan for the future. When cell coverage does get better, we will be ahead of the game.
TheChrisK
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
TheChrisK

Country Manager: United States