Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

reverting name "Looking Glass Hill Rd" to MT-49

Post by MacroNav
While sweeping up around Glacier I found that apparently quite a few years ago the name "Looking Glass Hill Rd" was applied to MT-49 as the primary name. I'm struggling to find justification for this, and without justification am in favor of reverting it to MT-49 as primary.

This is something of a colloquial name for the road in tourism blogs, named for the pass the highway crosses that is closed in winter - so I know many of you have experience dealing with this road. However I find no signs or official state documentation of the name. The only official signs seem to be the MT-49 Highway badge. In the state closure alerts the state always gives MT-49 first then Looking Glass as a descriptor for the pass where the road is closed.

You may think of another road that is closed in winter - the Beartooth Highway. The difference is that road does have special designation from MT and USDOT as a scenic byway with that name, and there are official signs as such.

I was last through the area ten years ago or so, and don't recall any special signage. Does anyone else have more current info on signage than the 2011 and 2008 SV?
MacroNav
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:17531197

Send a message

Post by TheChrisK
Sorry for the delay in response on this.

If official sources list the road as primarily MT-49, then it should be listed as such. I am all for swapping the primary and secondary names as you described.
TheChrisK
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
TheChrisK

Country Manager: United States