Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Standardizing Nevada State, County and US naming.

Post by
As a bleed over from the California subforum, there's a been a discussion about standardizing how state, county and US highways are named in Nevada. Right now the only consistency is inconsistency. State, county and US highway naming is left up the individual states, unlike the I-XXX for interstates.

From the California forum, we appear to have some consensus on standardizing on the following for California.

SR-XXX for Nevada numbered state highways
US-XX for Nevada US highways
CR-XXX for Nevada numbered county roads and highways

What do people think about adopting the same for Nevada?

POSTER_ID:9210571

Send a message

Post by Daknife
As a US Hwy, 95 should not all be locked to level 5. Any sections that are Freeway or at least major hwy quality (as in the areas close to Vegas) should be but the vast majority of the length of 95 is simple two lane hwy and should not be locked. (I know I just perused the length of it through Idaho, cleaning it and the towns along it up.)

Interstates locked to level 5, most US hwy's should not be so locked.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
kentsmith9 wrote:Note with the new locking system the editor can select the level to something below their current level.
Can we get a heavenly Choir singing Hallelujah's for this long requested change? :D
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by dbwiddis
I agree with the same for Nevada, with a few exceptions.

I'm pretty sure we already use US-XX for federal highways. I've seen all our State Routes (at least in my Las Vegas editing area) denoted as "State Rte XX" and have followed that pattern consistently. Happy to change to SR-XX if that's adopted, although it may be less clear to users. (Although to be honest, few people use SR numbering around here for directions, preferring the street names.) I guess the only main competitor is NV-XX?

CR-XXX is probably fine for a statewide standard but I think there should be an exception for Clark County 215. It is a unique county road:
  • It is the only County Road in the nation that is a freeway (eventually intended to be I-215)
  • It's the only county road in Clark County. Drivers here aren't used to driving "county roads".
  • Signage is almost always as CC-215 rather than CR-215. CR- would possibly confuse drivers. Likely not since "the 215" is also common so they'd figure it out, but I'm a fan of waze directions matching street signs.
    http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4370 ... 7at124.png
  • Hardly anyone around here ever refers to it as a "County Road". It is universally, even officially, called the "Clark County 215 Beltway"
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by dbwiddis
TruckOttr wrote: US-XX for Nevada US highways
So I went through to try to change all the US-95's to match this, but a lot of 'em are locked. And furthermore, my update request to have a level 5 do it was rejected because the Road Naming Guide says it should be US Hwy XX.
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by dbwiddis
TruckOttr wrote:
dbwiddis wrote:
TruckOttr wrote: US-XX for Nevada US highways
So I went through to try to change all the US-95's to match this, but a lot of 'em are locked. And furthermore, my update request to have a level 5 do it was rejected because the Road Naming Guide says it should be US Hwy XX.
They should all be locked to level 5 if not already. I don't see your update request on the UR page. Where was it posted?
In the old unlock forum where we used to post everything until we got the US forum, which I was also appropriately chastised for. Here was my post... although I've gone to switch things back and may not have finished the job since it's all manner of inconsistent now.

But anyway, are we following the national convention or being typical west coast rebels and doing otherwise?
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by dbwiddis
kentsmith9 wrote: I updated the Wiki to reflect Nevada is considering the shortened names for US-xxx and CR-xxx.
And SR-xxx rather than "State Hwy xxx" ?
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by gfolk
I would agree. It seems to me that using CC 215 be the same as using a street name instead of the highway number through a town/city.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
gfolk
Send a message
Area Manager: Central Sierras from CA 49 (Georgetown to Mariposa) to US 395 (Reno to Lee Vining), and Monterey/Salinas/Hollister area

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png

Post by gfolk
California has elected to go with the shortened highway designation, and is listed in the wiki as such. Since the active northern Nevada editors reside and edit in California, I had proposed we include this standard in Nevada. So far I have not seen and local objections to this, so the consensus was to include Nevada in using US-xx, SR-xx, etc.

This isn't really a west coast rebellion thing, since California was the most recent state to adopt this, after a handful of others. :D
gfolk
Send a message
Area Manager: Central Sierras from CA 49 (Georgetown to Mariposa) to US 395 (Reno to Lee Vining), and Monterey/Salinas/Hollister area

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png

Post by kentsmith9
daknife wrote:As a US Hwy, 95 should not all be locked to level 5. Any sections that are Freeway or at least major hwy quality (as in the areas close to Vegas) should be but the vast majority of the length of 95 is simple two lane hwy and should not be locked. (I know I just perused the length of it through Idaho, cleaning it and the towns along it up.)

Interstates locked to level 5, most US hwy's should not be so locked.
Actually the convention I have been using is to lock any major road that has the potential to be modified due to out of sync visuals and uncontrolled lower level editor errors. The new lock system will tend to use the greater of 1) the "importance of the road" - amount of traffic, or 2) the level set by the last editor. Note with the new locking system the editor can select the level to something below their current level.

Based on a parallel thread, Nevada editors have accepted moving to the shortened names for US-xxx, SR-xxx and CR-xxx. The Wiki has been updated to reflect this.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Fri May 03, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Nevada editors accepted moving to shortened names; forgot SR-xxx was included

Post by kentsmith9
dbwiddis wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote: I updated the Wiki to reflect Nevada is considering the shortened names for US-xxx and CR-xxx.
And SR-xxx rather than "State Hwy xxx" ?
Yes. I left that off by mistake. Also in a parallel thread the NV editors accepted the move. My prior post has been edited for both.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message