Let Me Introduce Myself

Post by the1who
Hello fellow NV Wazers. My name is Matt. Some I have already opened PM discussion with, others this is a first. I see that we have an active group working within NV abroad and LV of my current, pinpointed interest.

I have just moved here. I used to live in the KC area, Kansas side. There I was helping other senior editors in the area. One faded out and away, he wasn't really ever active when I first started, but he had done a lot of editing of KC. I picked up where he left off and the journey began. I made it my priority to get complete I-35 and US-69 from KC to Des Moines as my first project, applying for many AM areas when I first started. They eventually gave me an area to cover all of my requests, and my subsequent I-29 project from KC to Omaha. My interest in mapping grew, and my interest to get a collaborated efforts among the editors grew as well. I became the Regional Coordinator for the Midwest region at that time, which is now the Plains region.

I moved here for a job and I have been using Waze more and more. I initially didn't because I was unfamiliar with the laws of the land and suction cup mounts, which I know about now and still risk for the sake of Waze. But regardless, I had too many things on my plate to begin with to worry about getting around. It became to the point though that I started using a couple days a week and now I am using it almost every day. I have fixed some issues already along I-15 in particular of Tropicana Ave from I-15 SB issue and some other signage issues around that area for exits. You may see my higher locks on areas that I think are important and imperative to keep locked. There are many reasons behind why I would do it, if you have questions or disagree, please don't hesitate to send me a PM. I do travel to and fro along I-15 daily and I-515 when it gets extreme traffic jams on I-15. But with my knowledge and abilities with Waze, I will edit more broadly as necessary.

You may not see anything wrong after you had just edited something, I might just do a simple fix, be geometry or junction node fixing, it won't probably be apparent. I am not here though to overrule anything you might have done. I just want to get that out there and known. I have had editors ask me in the past why I edited something when there was no change or issue (that they could see), and I explain to them and usually they say they didn't realize. I am here to help and improve the community in which we electronically live. It not only helps me and you, but it helps other users who may have just opened it for the first time or occasionally use the app. My goal is to improve the accuracy of our product. Glad to be here and working with everyone, looking forward to anything I may be of assistance.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

POSTER_ID:872208

Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.100

Post by cactusmonkey1966
Thanks Matt! Glad to have your help here in Las Vegas.

I have benefitted greatly from your support over the past few weeks. Superdave has been enormously helpful as well.

Regarding Interstate locks, I know that I personally believe that Matts efforts at fixing roads to tweak them a bit and overall improve our driving experience, I welcome your efforts as a Country Manager to help us. Thanks to Jemay as well for supporting me and my efforts to improve driving in Las Vegas as that is my retirement age profession. I am glad to have the freeways at lock level 5 and don't have a problem asking Jemay or the1who to unlock or help me fix. This was the case this past week and the communication between me and Jemay and the1who has been great. So lowering freeways to rank 3 is bad primarily because we have Millions and Millions of visitors that either drive themselves or in a taxi with Waze turned on and thus can play with our roads we drive every day. So if they are essentially finished freeways with few changes coming, then we can fix the URs and errors as they come in and as Areai Managers see them as well.

I agree the primary roads seem to have a lot of new editors that want to test their abilities before reading Wiki. But then again, at least in my intentions, I will be watching to fix errors and to encourage and coach new editors as best I am able. So level 5 for freeways is good for me. Maybe level 2 on some of the primary roads. (Stop splitting roads new editors until you review it with an area manager rank 3'or above. But read the Wiki anyhow)
cactusmonkey1966
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Have you read Wiki yet? What's your favorite Wiki?
Area Manager Las Vegas Metropolitan area, Boulder City, Pahrump and Reno/Sparks NV
Map Editing Quick Start Guide
How to use PLACES

Post by SuperDave1426
Welcome, Matt. I think you'll like Nevada. :-)

A couple of things I'd like to comment on from your introduction, if I may... :D
the1who wrote:I moved here for a job and I have been using Waze more and more. I initially didn't because I was unfamiliar with the laws of the land and suction cup mounts, which I know about now and still risk for the sake of Waze.
I honestly don't think you've got that much to worry about in that regards. The law in question states:

NRS 484D.435 - Windshield and windows must be unobstructed.
  1. A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, side wings or side or rear windows of such vehicle which obstructs the driver’s clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway.
  2. This section shall not apply to any sign, poster or other material displayed in the 6-inch square area of the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or to any other material required to be displayed on a windshield or window by federal or state law.

While overall that does suggest that you're only allowed to place something like that waaaaay over by the passenger's side of the dash, if you look at the last part of section 1, it's stating that you can't place something in the window that obstructs the view of the driver. That's the operative phrase. Placed low enough, you're not risking obstructing the view the view of the driver, so it's not going to be an issue.

Standard disclaimer: IANAL. :D However, I've never had any officer of any agency ever bother me once regarding my suction-cup mounted-to-the-windshield phone, which is kept as close to the dash as practical and off to my right a bit. I even once was stopped by an officer because I hadn't seen the rather oddly-located "no right turn on red" sign and turned right against the red. He could plainly see my mount and didn't even comment on it.
You may see my higher locks on areas that I think are important and imperative to keep locked. There are many reasons behind why I would do it, if you have questions or disagree, please don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Even though I'm not an AM for the Vegas area, and thus have no personal interest in it, I would like to make a request regarding the above: Please don't lock them at anything higher than Rank 3, or it can interfere with the AMs who are down there. Someone who has been made an AM has been given a certain level of trust with the map in their area, and they should be able to edit within their area without having to go ask someone to unlock (or update for them) of a street/primary street/minor highway/major highway. I know that if I were an AM there and someone started going through locking at Rank 4 or higher (even if I were Rank 4 myself), I'd be really annoyed with that and the person doing it, regardless of how holy the motives might be. Rank 3 should be high enough to keep the "rabble" away from breaking the critical roads, and still allow AMs to do what they need to do. :-)

Hopefully, that's already the way you're approaching it and I just typed a bunch of stuff for nothing. :mrgreen: But if not, I hope you'll consider what I'm saying here.

Waze is a community effort (and I'm sure I'm not stating anything here that you don't already know <grin>), and I really believe in locking only at the lowest level needed to provide a combination of protecting the more critical roads without frustrating editors - who are part of that community. "Only apply as much pressure as absolutely necessary."

I mentioned in my reply to you in the other thread that the more "important" roads in Reno I've taken to locking at Rank 2, which is still fairly easy to get to, but blocks off the people who just see the shiny new edit function and haven't yet discovered the joys of the Wiki guides and actually doing good edits. :-) I bounced the idea off of Jemay first since he's the RC for this region, and he agreed that Rank 2 was a good lock level for those types of roads.

Anyway, thanks for reading my rambling. And again, welcome to the area!
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message