Un-named Cul-de-sacs

Post by PTaylor_US
I couldn't find anything in the wiki about this. Is there any reason to have un-named road segments like this one for cul-de-sacs? I believe it only affects navigation if there is no HN or hasn't been nudged. What is the standard for this? Where should the HN stop points be placed for the houses in the cul-de-sac?

Cul-de-sac in Falcon
PTaylor_US

POSTER_ID:17074645

Send a message

Post by bgodette
ply8808 wrote:This is an excellent question and I look forward to hearing the local senior managements guidance.
I'd name that segment.
ply8808 wrote:In my local area we have set a standard of either using place points for the house numbers or naming the road the proper name and placing HNs and stop points, even when the cul-d-sac name has the same addresses as the attached road. The argument against this is that waze will give a turn command of the same street, but is that wrong? I do not feel it is a bad thing and we have had no URs complaining of such, guess they prefer to be guided to the stop point over the alternative ;)
I will offer this wiki link as the last paragraph comments of something "soon" :)
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/House_number ... Stop_Point
Yes you'll get a Turn instruction for turning onto that cul-de-sac, but not for continuing straight due to the Best Continuation rules in regards to angles. In this particular instance I'd expect a turn instruction when going to an address on that segment.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
PTaylor_US wrote:I tried naming the segment, but it then gives me "Wrong side" errors for some of the HNs. Does this have to be "forced"?
Yes, it's making assumptions on which side of the segment an address is on based on being odd/even and where the first HN is on the segment. I'm guessing that the addresses there are in order going around the cul-de-sac.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Panther37
PTaylor_US wrote:That's correct. I guess I'll leave them till I get to level 3 when I can force them.
Or just send me a PM and I'll force them for you.
Panther37
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Panther37
I really don't think they are needed. They provide a landmark. The one you linked to, it it is to stay, should really have the name of the street and house numbers, so you know to turn onto the cul-du-bump.
Panther37
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by ply8808
This is an excellent question and I look forward to hearing the local senior managements guidance.
In my local area we have set a standard of either using place points for the house numbers or naming the road the proper name and placing HNs and stop points, even when the cul-d-sac name has the same addresses as the attached road. The argument against this is that waze will give a turn command of the same street, but is that wrong? I do not feel it is a bad thing and we have had no URs complaining of such, guess they prefer to be guided to the stop point over the alternative ;)
I will offer this wiki link as the last paragraph comments of something "soon" :)
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/House_number ... Stop_Point
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
HD riding wazer, Arizona.
iPhone 7, iOS 13.3.1

Post by PTaylor_US
I tried naming the segment, but it then gives me "Wrong side" errors for some of the HNs. Does this have to be "forced"?
PTaylor_US
Send a message

Post by PTaylor_US
That's correct. I guess I'll leave them till I get to level 3 when I can force them.
PTaylor_US
Send a message

Post by PTaylor_US
Is there a rule for how "deep" a cul-de-sac is before we add a segment for it? For example, the one I liked to is pretty long and is "necked down" at the intersection of the main road. There are a lot of short little stub segments drawn for maybe a half-circle right on the main road. Personally, I wouldn't even call these a cul-de-sac and I don't believe they need a segment.

Here's an example:
Example
PTaylor_US
Send a message