Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Editing areas with no Network Service

Post by montoym
I've been a dedicated user of Waze for a few years now, I do a fair amount of driving, enough to be amongst the Royalty Wazers. I have made several edits over the years, though sporadically.

In some cases, I find myself in many areas where there is no cell service and thus my trips within these areas are not counted by Waze. As such, I cannot perform edits within these regions (some of which constitute large gaps).

Additionally, I occasionally find myself on Forest Service Roads which may often be in no service areas as well. In many cases, these roads are woefully incorrect and/or non-existent, but updates cannot be made (at least by me), since I have no service in these areas and thus they are outside of my editable areas.

Is there any way to allow me to be able to make edits in regions which are outside of (but near) my editable areas or within the gaps in my editable areas along the same trip?
I do understand that as my level increases, my editable areas will expand as well and I suppose if need be, I can't wait it out until I level up. However, some of these areas are far enough within a no cell region that only countrywide and/or Waze staff may be able to make some of these edits.

What options are there available for situations such as this? Is there a way to increase my editable areas by a polygon or geo-fence of some sort maybe?

Thanks for any advice that can be provided!
montoym

POSTER_ID:17020304

Send a message

Post by dougp01
I believe the answer to your question is to become an Area manager for those places. This requires Level 3 editor plus review and approval by the regional manager. Short of that, you can contact the existing area managers and request they make improvements. One other thing to consider is you can visit the live web map https://www.waze.com/livemap and single-click the map and report a problem. If you decide to contact the area manager, you can send the permalink as well.

One thing, I also live in Colorado and find that when I drive to those areas, waze has significant problems performing at all. Has this been your experience as well?

thanks, Doug
dougp01
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
~dougp01

Resources:
Colorado Forum,

Post by tgfathergoose
This is an issue because it seems very few editors want to take this on as a challenge. Many editors would rather fix problems that get reported on major roads. I don't fault them on this, because getting the data is much easier. And, since more people travel those roads, it helps more people.

The other issue is that editors want to make sure that the changes they make are correct. I've worked some of these in Colorado, and if it's like every other place, the county GIS has one name, Google Earth another, Mapquest a third, and if the state has an FCA GIS, something different there. So, what is the real name? It's not like you can go to Street View and see the road signs. Even when they connect to a road that has Street View, 90% of the time there will be no sign. And how do you really abbreviate a forest service road? County will abbreviate it one way, state another. And the same road, when it crosses into a different county, will get a different abbreviation.
tgfathergoose
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message