Colorado State Highway Naming Convention

Post by MVGrim
In looking through the highways through Colorado, I see some inconsistent naming, and the naming convention on the wiki doesn't seem to be the one that is primarily followed.

According to OTIS, state highways are designated "SH #", and road signs seem to support this convention. Even though its OTIS data uses "SH #", CDOT uses "CO #" in its own feed. I also see a good amount of "State Hwy #", but don't encounter "SR-#", which is what the wiki says should be used.

Edit: Also, the MUTCD (Table 1A-2) indicates that state/county highway abbreviations ought to be in the form "XX #" (with a space) instead of "XX-#" (with a hyphen).

While I'm in the state, I'd like to offer to work in the area near Broomfield to standardize these highway names some, but it would be good if there were a consensus on naming convention.
MVGrim

POSTER_ID:16635012

Send a message

Post by Chris_CA
I am updating SE Colorado using SH-XX & CR-XX
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Chris_CA
DOH!
Yes, it's supposed to be SR-XX, not SH-XX.
Something to keep me busy, I guess...

(Just testing you guys to see if you are awake since no one ever posts here) ;-)
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Daknife
Don't worry, once we're all done, we come up with a new standard to change every road to. :P
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by troyv
Chris_CA wrote:I am updating SE Colorado using SH-XX & CR-XX
I believe the wiki says SR-XX and CR-XX. Is this not correct?
troyv
Send a message

Post by troyv
Chris_CA wrote:DOH!
Yes, it's supposed to be SR-XX, not SH-XX.
Something to keep me busy, I guess...

(Just testing you guys to see if you are awake since no one ever posts here) ;-)
Phew! I have been doing SR-XX and I was afraid that I was doing it wrong all this time.
troyv
Send a message

Post by TruckOttr
MVGrim wrote:In looking through the highways through Colorado, I see some inconsistent naming, and the naming convention on the wiki doesn't seem to be the one that is primarily followed.

According to OTIS, state highways are designated "SH #", and road signs seem to support this convention. Even though its OTIS data uses "SH #", CDOT uses "CO #" in its own feed. I also see a good amount of "State Hwy #", but don't encounter "SR-#", which is what the wiki says should be used.

Edit: Also, the MUTCD (Table 1A-2) indicates that state/county highway abbreviations ought to be in the form "XX #" (with a space) instead of "XX-#" (with a hyphen).

While I'm in the state, I'd like to offer to work in the area near Broomfield to standardize these highway names some, but it would be good if there were a consensus on naming convention.
Hi,

Please look here: viewtopic.php?f=566&t=49337

There is a standard convention that's been adopted for the entire Southwest (including CO). The Wiki is correct. Not all highways are currently labeled correctly within Colorado, so feel free to help us fix ones you run across to align with the Wiki standards.
TruckOttr
Send a message
https://sign.wme-tools.com/images/signa ... d-0200.pnghttps://sign.wme-tools.com/images/signa ... ones-4.png
Hayward, CA, Reno/Sparks, NV, Elko/Spring Creek, NV and apparently the N. NV section of Portola Valley, CA. :-)