strange intersection at Sheridan and 104th

Post by wltdzny
At the suggestion of bgodette, I'm posting this here:

I've been heading to the Westminster Rec Center near the intersection of Sheridan and 104th for years now. Waze always does the same weird things on the way. Heading from downtown Denver, going north on US 36, it always suggests getting off on Sheridan. No problem there, but I believe it's faster to head to 104th exit as there is a great shortcut-- and I'm not surprised that Waze doesn't know the shortcut. But I am surprised at the strange wild goose chase that Waze suggests taking instead.

In the end I'm guessing that waze doesn't know you can turn north from 104th to get onto Sheridan. What that means is that it used to suggest a weird thing where it said to turn right there instead of turning left, then turn around in the local neighborhood.

Now it does something even stranger. it says to take a left on w 98th boulevard and go all the way to 98th, then get back onto Sheridan heading north. All very strange routes.

And here's the shortcut it doesn't see. if you turn left after westminster boulevard, you can get onto west 105th Ave, which takes you straight to the parking lot and you're there. Waze never knows I have arrived. Maybe because it doesn't recognize that the parking lot is the address, so it never "learns" my route.

Here's the area in question. The parking lot is the area circled underneath the pin that says "boot camp challenge".

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&c ... IABEPwSMAo

There's one final thing...waze tries to take me to the address on the street instead of the driveway to this place. See attached photo. that's me in the parking lot. By this point, Waze has reconized 105th Ave, but it's trying to take me back onto Sheridan, even though I'm already there. The smartest entrance to the parking lot is actually were the W is on the edge of the map. The area farther to the North would not be a smart way to get here.

That's a lot of typing for a silly problem. But waze said report map problem and I did it.

I have more screen grabs if you want them, but they were too big to upload to this post.

Thanks for making cool maps. Someday, maybe I'll join you.
wltdzny

POSTER_ID:1652780

Send a message
Attachments

Post by bgodette
Ok this is a search result location issue. The first thing to understand about Waze's routing is that it navigates to the closest connected segment to the position returned by search. This is important to understand because Waze generally does not have any internal search results. It's currently limited to centroids of some landmarks, centroids of roads of the same name (center of all segments of that name+city+state+country), and centroids of city polygons as defined by the segments that are part of that city. Everything else is provided by third parties, this includes address search.

Whichever search method you used returned a position just to the west of Sheridan. Solutions are to use the address which search will resolve using Google and Google places near the parking lot in your image, or save a favorite with a press-and-hold location on the spot you want to navigate to.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Daknife
Note, if you do search it in google, look at where it places the pin. If the pin is closer to the road waze is taking you to. You can edit it and move it to a point closer to the intended destination. I have had to do this often when finding google pin placements are not ideal, and can often be quite inaccurate. Other times they are just off a little bit. But while not as easy to edit as Waze's maps, we can adjust Google's info as well.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint