Error while saving house number locations

The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Error while saving house number locations

Postby williammawt » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Hello!!
williammawt

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:34 pm

In the US, the common reasons for not being able to save house numbers: (this is not an exhaustive list):

1. Permissions. You must have the required rank or higher on all segments selected when you go in to edit house numbers. Keep in mind that WME selects multiple segments when they are available and you must have the right rank on all of them

2. House Number outside the max distance, distance is currently undetermined. It seems to have shortened from where it was last year.

3. House Numbers not ordered correctly. Even across the street, addresses (in the US) must be in numerical order. This order is determined by where the stop point for each address lands on the segment. If your addresses are 3015 , 3018 , 3020, 3023, but the stop points for 3020 is after 3023, you'll get an error.

4. Even/odd numbers switched. In the US, it is normal for odd/even HNs to be side-specific. This will cause a Force requirement if you have a private drive you've named off to one side of the main street, so you can put the stop points more accurately, as all those HNs will be either even or odd. If you don't have rights to force, you'll get an error.

4.1 This often happens at the end of cul de sacs where the location of where the even/odd house numbers are side-by-side. You've got to have the cul de sac end point properly located to not require a force for one of the HNs.

Tip: when a HN is red because of an error/requires forcing, hover the mouse over the number and the reason for the error should pop up:
Attachments
house_number_wrong_side.jpg
(11.56 KiB) Downloaded 1145 times
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jdeyoung » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Editing one address on a street in Chicago isn't very helpful, since every address on most streets were placed too close to the alley. It would be FAR EASIER if there were a systemic approach - or a script that would allow multi-select of all addresses on at least one side of a street to move the batch.
Either way, it is inconsistent when it locks up. Sometimes it lets me update all of the addresses on both sides of the street - and I occasionally feel brave enough to do some in the next block - without locking up. I find it less than acceptable to get a save error and lose the edits on a tedious process like moving house numbers.
jdeyoung

Location: Greater Chicago Metro area, NW Indiana, SW Lower MI, USA

Postby Bigbear3764 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Even if you do one address and hit save?

Last time I was playing with addresses was Saturday. Didn't have much trouble. Was doing more adding then moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby jdeyoung » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Several times in the past few weeks I have encountered errors with house numbers. In order to fix URs where the complaint is being routed to the alley, not the street, I have simply moved all of the numbers along the street closer to the street. All relative positions to each other remain nearly the same - but that would be based on the steadiness of my mouse/moves. Attempting to save generates an error "Unexpected error while saving" - but then all changes appear lost, and no ability to click "save" is possible. Yet when I try to navigate away, I get the message nag about unsaved changes and whether I want to navigate away from the page.
Is there anything I'm missing? As I said, this has happened a number of times and it is frustrating.
jdeyoung

Location: Greater Chicago Metro area, NW Indiana, SW Lower MI, USA

Postby sketch » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Regarding the other problem brought up by this thread, which does not seem to have been addressed:

I am getting similar save errors, all along Veterans Memorial Blvd: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TT&env=usa

Deleting a house number is not a problem. But any time I attempt to move or add a house number, and then save, I get the save error. Most of the time, nothing saves; occasionally (maybe 10% of the time), it'll throw up the error, but if I exit the house number and refresh the map, it turns out the edits were indeed saved.

Maybe it's a problem with the split road, or with old bad data. There were a lot of bad addresses around the 3700 range near what is actually the 4900 block. I removed the bad stuff and have been trying to add correct addresses and to legitimize (remove the "forced" tag) on addresses that are already there, but this is making it extremely difficult.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:08 pm

chingliu wrote:So what you're saying is that, for now, users being incorrectly routed down alleys is inevitable and not fixable? But that when Waze starts using the stop points all these map problems will go away?

Fix them in the system of record, which for the US and many other countries, is google.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:27 pm

chingliu wrote:Do you happen to know the answer to my other question? Should alleys be named "Alley"?

I don't name them unless they are marked or are otherwise socially referred to by a name. Often this is the two names of the street on either side with "Aly" at the end. So, the alley between Sherman and George streets would be "Sherman-George Aly."

However, I also know that using "Alley" can be helpful because if it is left unnamed, then you don't get a turn instruction with a "name" if the destination is on the alley. The app will leave the name of the last named segment on-screen.

If Waze uses an alley mid-route, then having it not named also is very confusing because if you are on 1st St and the alley takes you to 2nd St, then the turn onto the (unnamed) alley will tell you to "turn left/right at 2nd St" which then followed by "turn left/right at 2nd St" onto the real 2nd St.

Not sure what the best guidance is, but it may be contextual, that is, situation-dependent. See what searches for "alley" in the wiki lead to.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby chingliu » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Wow, so many things to read and learn about map editing. What's the point of being able to mark the locations then?

So what you're saying is that, for now, users being incorrectly routed down alleys is inevitable and not fixable? But that when Waze starts using the stop points all these map problems will go away?

Ok, so I guess I'll stop worrying about moving these house numbers.

Do you happen to know the answer to my other question? Should alleys be named "Alley"?

Thanks,
Ching
chingliu

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:38 pm

Have you read the entire House Numbers wiki article? Because moving house numbers away from the street has no effect today and it will have no effect in the future when house numbers in the Waze database are used for routing. That's what the Stop Point is for: regardless of where the house number is physically located, this is where the routing will end.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to House Numbers (Addresses)